Pretend Police Force

People need to feel that the police offer them protection against an.

assault on their person and theft of their property. There are gangs on the streets in London, that threaten to kill whole families if one of their members is attacked, The police are completely lost on what to do. There are communities that feel besieged by tow rags dealing drugs and knifing each other to death.  

I have a great deal of respect for the police, but there's not enough of them. Of course, the Force is underfunded and overstretched. This situation isn't lost on the criminal which of course emboldens them. 

What can one do?   

Edited by petemcewan

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

People need to feel that the police offer them protection against an.

assault on their person and theft of their property. There are gangs on the streets in London, that threaten to kill whole families if one of their members is attacked, The police are completely lost on what to do. There are communities that feel besieged by tow rags dealing drugs and knifing each other to death.  

I have a great deal of respect for the police, but there's not enough of them. Of course, the Force is underfunded and overstretched. This situation isn't lost on the criminal which of course emboldens them. 

What can one do?   

Stop voting Tory.

8 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Not many in Sheffield voted Conservative, but to blame voters is just nonsense.

I beg to differ.

What would you say to a person who voted Hitler in the 1930s? (BEFORE the attrocities?) do you blame them for voting for someone they thought could get them out of the **** that Germany was in at the time? (the whole world was in turmoil at the time, and Germany was particularly affected, as you well know as an academic man.)

I'd say they made a colossal error of judgement in voting for a man with obvious tendency to blame the Jews for all ills and that they didn't think it through properly.

8 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

What do you think to my one and only ever vote, which was for LibDem? Do you blame me for uni fees?

Poor choice, and yes, I think you have to share some of the blame.

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Most idiots who break the law on Twitter do so in their own name, so it is generally very easy to investigate, the evidence is quick to secure, even if deleted, and most people end up pleading guilty so a much more efficient use of limited resources. 

The problem with a lot of burglaries is that people do know who carried them out but wont give a statement to the police so it's not that difficult to understand why the police just shrug their shoulders and file the case for NFA.

An easy win for sure, but on the other hand the impact on society from burglaries is much higher than from unpleasant words on twitter.  So whilst easy, it also achieves little and gives ammunition to the people who want the police to spend resources on more serious crime rather than easily solved trivial crime.

Edit - I will accept that out and out death threats should be investigated.  However there are quite a few instances where some common sense should have been applied.  For example;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19009344

Edited by Cyclone

Pay more tax . Funding has to come from some where.

How about we cancel brexit, cancel the reduction in corporation tax rates and the funding can come from there.

Not voting Tory would help. They have a privatisation agenda for literally every public service, and policing is included in that.

When they’ve run the service so far into the ground, and you have a G4S officer coming to look at a burglary or car break-in you’ll be delighted. Another time you might not be so delighted to get arrested by an officer from G4S though.

IMO policing is one service that absolutely should not be privatised, or softened up for being privatised. Once it becomes part of the government-corporate for profit landscape we are done for. You would have a political police force in effect.

And for those right wingers who think that would only ever work in their favour you need to think again. Such a force could be misused by other parties too.

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

How about we cancel brexit, cancel the reduction in corporation tax rates and the funding can come from there.

It can come from many areas that we as individuals don't want or see the value of, however others may want them. 

Yes, I suppose the super rich will definitely see the value of a reduction in corporation tax.  And some of the super rich see a huge opportunity in brexit to become even super richer.

My point was that personal income tax isn't the only source of income for the government though.  So "pay more tax" is a fine idea, but it doesn't just include the number you see on your PAYE slip.

Edited by Cyclone

Cyclone,

I'm on your side with your suggestions.

I live off my teacher's pension but would be prepared to pay a little more tax.

The estate where I live is being targeted by criminals-the police issue crime notifications and that is about it.

We must do something(within the law) if we are not to remain as victims.

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Not voting Tory would help. They have a privatisation agenda for literally every public service, and policing is included in that.

When they’ve run the service so far into the ground, and you have a G4S officer coming to look at a burglary or car break-in you’ll be delighted. Another time you might not be so delighted to get arrested by an officer from G4S though.

You seem to forget that privatisation was also Labour's friend for many years.

Labour also cut police funding when they were in power:

Police budgets are being slashed under Labour, with a study showing that Tony Blair has halved the annual increase to forces across England. Constabularies got twice as big a rise each year under John Major.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/apr/15/whitehall.westminsterandwhitehall

Even as recent as 2015, Andy Burnham said there would be cuts if Labour won the election:

Andy Burnham: Police budget could be cut by 10% under Labour

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/opinion/60937/andy-burnham-police-budget-could-be-cut-10-under-labour

And as G4S, shall we mention Labour MP John Reid? 

In 2009, just months after Reid had been hired by G4S, the company won a huge contract from Reid's former employers, the Ministry of Defence, worth tens of millions of pounds, to supply private security guards for around 200 Ministry of Defence and military sites across Britain. G4S denied Reid playing any part in them securing the contract

And wasn't a contract for G4S to supply security to the 2012 olympics (which ended up in a disaster) signed in 2009?

Local councils have the the Governments guidance to raise £270 for policing by raising council tax - how many people on here would support local council tax raises.

We may not have a choice but if we had would we support it?

In my village people annual scream about the lack of support and activities for children and youths and then complain at the 50p a day charge on the council tax for a sports centre - they won't all be the same people moaning about the same things but some will be.

I thought at least 51% voted for Brexit ?