Liam Neeson Interview.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think being the age he was, in the era he was, with the background he had May well have had an impact. 

He was brought up as an Irish Catholic in a predominantly Protestant part of Ballymena so would have suffered a lot of racism himself, so I can't see how that would make him racist..

If anything, it would have had the opposite effect.

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

He was brought up as an Irish Catholic in a predominantly Protestant part of Ballymena so would have suffered a lot of racism himself, so I can't see how that would make him racist..

He was  referring to the environmental factors that he felt had influenced his behaviour at that time. 

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So you get kicked about alot then a "righteous" opportunity comes to deliver a kicking and you decline? 

Most people who dish out violence don't do it because they haven't had repeated kickings. In my opinion anyway, have a Google if you can prove otherwise. Violence begets violence and all that.

29 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

He had, in my opinion, racist thoughts 40 years ago, that he is admitting to now. I'm not sure what his motivation was for saying this now, but after 4 decades it's quite likely he has changed. 

An interview was arranged regarding his latest film which is something about a father seeking revenge, so I suppose some questions would have reminded him of the incident in his own life. 

I don't think his comments will do him any favours in Hollywood circles though. 

I think that if it instills in people the need to be reflective about their own thought processes and to take responsibility for them then that can only be a good thing. In my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I think that if it instills in people the need to be reflective about their own thought processes and to take responsibility for them then that can only be a good thing. In my opinion.

Absolutely. I don't think for a minute he is saying what he did is acceptable, quite the opposite in-fact.  He is opening up about a dark side of his character and something he did that he is deeply ashamed of and will probably hurt his career, a rare thing amongst todays carefully managed high profile celebs. 

10 hours ago, melthebell said:

its like that teacher guy who was in the news recently over his year book and racism, people said hes not racist, look at at what hes done since. The problem i have is....to do that type of thing means there must be the thoughts in your head, racist thoughts, they dont go away, its fundamentally you. you can push them to one side but essentially they stay there

So you've never thought/felt something at any time of your life and an instance or incident has caused those thoughts and feelings to change?

The film American History X came to mind when i read this story.

What about people who live in deeply religious households who give up their previous beliefs and become atheist? Are you saying that, deep down, these people still believe in God?

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Absolutely. I don't think for a minute he is saying what he did is acceptable, quite the opposite in-fact.  He is opening up about a dark side of his character and something he did that he is deeply ashamed of and will probably hurt his career, a rare thing amongst todays carefully managed high profile celebs. 

I listened to the whole exchange and he did state quite clearly that the whole thing was something that he'd never admitted to anybody ever before (and now to a journalist, how daft he must be for that) and that he was deeply ashamed of it.  At no point did he say that it was the right thing to do, or the right thing to think.

21 minutes ago, medusa said:

I listened to the whole exchange and he did state quite clearly that the whole thing was something that he'd never admitted to anybody ever before (and now to a journalist, how daft he must be for that) and that he was deeply ashamed of it.  At no point did he say that it was the right thing to do, or the right thing to think.

But lets face, the people who get disparagingly called "snowflakes" will be out and baying for his blood on this one... They are already going off totally half cocked and utterly refusing to actually think about anything other than the fact that there is someone who can be nailed to the wall for it. It's virtue signalling gone mad.

As you say, he doesnt seek to apologise for it and is clearly, uncomfortably asheamed of it. But It'll probably finish his career as the brigade above will ensure that anything he now touches is so toxic that no one will ever countanance working with him again.

3 hours ago, janie48 said:

An interview was arranged regarding his latest film which is something about a father seeking revenge, so I suppose some questions would have reminded him of the incident in his own life. 

I don't think his comments will do him any favours in Hollywood circles though. 

All his films are about a father seeking revenge.  LOL

20 hours ago, geared said:

It wasn't a moment, in his own words it was about a week.

He freely admitted to walking the streets carrying a weapon looking to get into a fight with a black person, purely because they were black.

20 hours ago, geared said:

But he did say if the rapist had been a different race he still would have followed the same actions. Seems that no reference to anybody being black can be talked about, yet the white race can be called any derogatory name.

Edited by lazarus

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

All his films are about a father seeking revenge.  LOL

Seems like it, doesn't it? 😉

Maybe it's better to keep things to yourself and find a therapist.