RIP Danny Williams

9 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Reading earlier that Danny Williams passed away aged 94, he managed the Owls for two years between 1969 and 1971. Which was just about the time I started going to Hillsborough regularly as a teenager.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/obituary--danny-williams/

as a teenager?

69 was my birth year

R.I.P

R.I.P Danny ,Condolences to Family and Friends.

The fifth manager in my time watching Wednesday, Mel.

He had a great turn of phrase.  e.g. When the third goal went in, I knew our pig wa' dead.

RIP Danny.

How sad a decent bloke I to am old enough though I hate to admit it to remember him at Sheff 6.Every so often there is a guy who was Sheff football through and through he was that type of guy along with D Dooley who was another gentleman that will always be remembered on both sides of the city. R.I.P. 

RIP Danny

Recall his time here well.He had a tough brief,to make quite a wedge of cash on transfers and yet build a competative side at the same time,utilising a youth squad that was way short on quality and using the spare cash to scour the lower leagues for bargain buys.

The board were way to greedy and the targets were set way to high to expect survival,which they almost pulled off,going to the final game of the season.

Players left that season were Peter Wicks, Archie Irvine, Don Megson and Fantham free/nominal,McCalliog 70K,Ritchie 25K  Mobley 45K & Eustace 90K,with Ford leaving in exchange for Jackie Sinclair,Wilf Smith was supposed to join chelsea but turned down a 100K move.We sold our assets off WAY too cheaply and Williams paid the price long term

In came Tony Coleman 25K and Steve Downes 38K. Peter Grummitt15K & Willie Lawson 3K

Very likeable honest bloke Danny.

Without doubt his greatest day as a manager came in defeating  Arsenal at wembley in the league cup final as a third division side with Swidon Town the season before he took over at hillsborough

Edited by staninoodle

RIP Danny, he was my mother's favourite player with Rotherham. Didn't see him play myself, but frequented his sports shop in Rotherham town centre many times in the late 50s early 60s..

On 04/02/2019 at 12:47, iansheff said:

Reading earlier that Danny Williams passed away aged 94, he managed the Owls for two years between 1969 and 1971. Which was just about the time I started going to Hillsborough regularly as a teenager.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/obituary--danny-williams/

And he was next to useless at it.  I remember it well.

RIP all the same to the bloke and condolences to his family and loved ones.