Bochum Parkway speed limit

15 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

The truth, of course, is that SCC have much bigger fish to fry (a long list of road/route inprovenent projects more pressing)  and very limited funds that don’t go far enough. 

You’ll have to live with your obvious irritation at being delayed a few moments (or are you driving at 50 anyway with little chance of a speeding ticket?) and get used to the fact that the limit will not increase until they find a budget for the ARMCO even though SCC agree with you that the limit could be 50. 

Of course it should be 50, possibly even 60 with a barrier. It doesn't irritate me too much to be honest, I just find it ridiculous that we have a 40mph zone that virtually nobody takes any notice of because it's so artificially low. All because some cattle may have sometimes needed to cross several years ago.

So, it's that limit for a reason (which might no longer apply).  Increasing it would require an excessive amount of expenditure, out of proportion to any benefit achieved...  That's it really.

Edited by Cyclone

9 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So, it's that limit for a reason (which might no longer apply).  Increasing it would require an excessive amount of expenditure, out of proportion to any benefit achieved...  That's it really.

I suppose since almost everyone ignores the 40 limit anyway (apart from posters on this forum of course), the actual benefit of reduced journey times would not be realised in practice.

42 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I suppose since almost everyone ignores the 40 limit anyway (apart from posters on this forum of course)

Bochum Parkway must have been full of forum posters then when I drove along it at 40mph yesterday morning - heading towards Norton & then later back towards Gleadless - it was quite busy & everybody appeared to be doing the same speed as me!

Edited by GleadlessLad

2 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

Bochum Parkway must have been full of forum posters then when I drove along it at 40mph yesterday morning - it was quite busy & everybody appeared to be doing the same speed as me!

Not my experience whenever I use the road.

I have not read all the posts so I may have missed it being mentioned

At one time years agao there was a sign up to warn people that cattle crossed the parkway.  A sort of cattle crossing if you like though I never actually saw it being used.   I always wondered if the speed limit should have been raised when the crossing by cattle stopped but nobody could be bothered to change  it.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I suppose since almost everyone ignores the 40 limit anyway (apart from posters on this forum of course), the actual benefit of reduced journey times would not be realised in practice.

I don't drive on that road, but I suspect that I would travel at the prevailing speed of the traffic (although not knowing it I would be more wary of speed cameras).

4 hours ago, fill said:

I have not read all the posts so I may have missed it being mentioned

At one time years agao there was a sign up to warn people that cattle crossed the parkway.  A sort of cattle crossing if you like though I never actually saw it being used.   I always wondered if the speed limit should have been raised when the crossing by cattle stopped but nobody could be bothered to change  it.

Would it be too much trouble to read the thread, the last few pages have been about specifically this, the fact that cattle no longer cost and that raising the limit requires considerable investment.

On 16/02/2019 at 23:55, DT Ralge said:

This thread with almost identical beefs and arguments happened on SF in 2009.

Digging back into that thread threw up something that confirmed the why’s and wherefore’s of the 40 limit:

”

The 40mph speed limit was put in place because of a signal controlled crossing facility halfway along the route for cattle crossing between Grange Farm and fields either side of the new road. The need for the cattle crossing has subsequently been removed, however a proposal by the local Road Safety Team to raise the speed limit was prevented by the need to protect the lighting columns along the route with safety barrier.

I.e. since the Council has never found a budget for Armco around the lights, the limit stays at 40. 

I fail to see why it need Arnco. A light post will give much better than Arnco. Yes Arnco is designed to direct you back into the lane you came from, but that can also be a double edged sword, as it can direct you back across into other traffic. Lamp standards are already designed to fold when hit by a car and so are generally considered quite safe. There is a risk of crossing over the central reservation or the standard doing so, but the reservation is wide, the lanes are wide and the run off's at the side are wide. 

Most rural roads are national speed limit ie 60mph and are narrow, single lane, with no central reservation at all, and no run off at the sides.

Given that most traffic on Bochum Parkway is travelling at between 60-90mph, most at the 60-70mph end, and there's never been a serious accident to my knowledge, in fact I've never seen or heard of any accident, although it's almost certain there will have been at least a minor one one every road, it seems very hard to justify the 40mph limit on safety or that a higher limit of 60mph would be unsafe without Arnco.

1 hour ago, Alsone said:

Given that most traffic on Bochum Parkway is travelling at between 60-90mph, most at the 60-70mph end, and there's never been a serious accident to my knowledge, in fact I've never seen or heard of any accident,

You really ought to have used google before posting.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-dual-carriageway-closed-after-major-accident-1-8839403

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/96342-bochum-parkway-closed/?tab=comments#comment-1667264

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/137896-bochum-parkway-this-morning/

or have a look on here;

https://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

Edited by Longcol

On 05/02/2019 at 09:22, ads36 said:

you might be right, but a footbridge would cost a million quid or so.

it's not as if it's a long road, where significant time-savings would be realised by higher speeds, it's short, and littered with roundabouts and junctions.

at rush hour(s), we're all queuing through these junctions anyway - higher speeds would just put us in the same position, in the same queue. no time would be saved, but more petrol would be burned.

"More petrol would be burned"?

Are you joking?

It seems to me that Sheffield is the slowest city in the UK for traffic throughput.

Many places just keep motorists waiting for no reason .

Instance: Halifax Road/Lidl junction, There is hardly ever anyone coming from that junction onto Halifax Road, however it seems to have one of the longest waiting times , especially for an arterial route into the city.

I wonder how many GALLONS of fuel are wasted there daily, not to mention the carbon footprint, and that's just ONE junction

2 hours ago, Alsone said:

I fail to see why it need Arnco. A light post will give much better than Arnco. Yes Arnco is designed to direct you back into the lane you came from, but that can also be a double edged sword, as it can direct you back across into other traffic. Lamp standards are already designed to fold when hit by a car and so are generally considered quite safe. There is a risk of crossing over the central reservation or the standard doing so, but the reservation is wide, the lanes are wide and the run off's at the side are wide. 

Most rural roads are national speed limit ie 60mph and are narrow, single lane, with no central reservation at all, and no run off at the sides.

Given that most traffic on Bochum Parkway is travelling at between 60-90mph, most at the 60-70mph end, and there's never been a serious accident to my knowledge, in fact I've never seen or heard of any accident, although it's almost certain there will have been at least a minor one one every road, it seems very hard to justify the 40mph limit on safety or that a higher limit of 60mph would be unsafe without Arnco.

Let’s add some facts ...

”lamps considered ...” good places to affix wreaths to 

”most travel at 60-90” ???????

”at the 60-70 end” what road are you thinking of?

“most ... rural ... NSL ... single-carriageway”. - yes and it is on these roads that close to 60% of road fatalities happen, so replicating those conditions maybe isn’t the way to go. 

Armco

Edited by DT Ralge

5 minutes ago, Crosser said:

It seems to me that Sheffield is the slowest city in the UK for traffic throughput.

You'd be wrong.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/commute-getting-slower-average-speeds-uks-major-cities-revealed-2017/

Edited by Longcol