Bochum Parkway speed limit

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Penistone Rd has designated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights. Bochum Parkway is an open dual carriageway without traffic light crossings. It should be 50mph+. 

It isn't 50mph - learn to live with it,

11 hours ago, TimmyR said:

but that isn't true is it?  You overtake the cyclist, accelerate to 40, then stop in the next queue and the cyclist catches you up again.  Like I say its an illusion.  I've been cycling down penistone road for the last 20 years and I regularly make a note of which cars are by me when I'm in hlllsborough. Without going through red lights I always overtake far more cars than overtake me and beat maybe 20 cars or more to derek dooley way.  Unless its 3am or something.  It only makes a difference where there are no traffic lights or roundabouts.  All you do by accelerating to high speeds and then braking is use more fuel.

Ignore bicycles as they usually don't worry about red lights. If a car gets through the traffic light cycle just in time and the next one doesn't, and sits on red for 1 or 2 mins, who do you think gets home sooner? Multiply it up by several sets of lights and each time getting further ahead, potentially. I've experimented myself many times and you can shave a good 5% to 10% off a journey time outside peak hours by putting your foot down and getting through lights quicker. I usually don't bother as I prefer to drive for fuel efficiency.

Just now, Longcol said:

It isn't 50mph - learn to live with it,

I do, but just because something has been set arbitrarily with little cognisance of the setting and comparative roads does not mean it's beyond scrutiny and can never be reviewed.

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Penistone Rd has designated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights. Bochum Parkway is an open dual carriageway without traffic light crossings. It should be 50mph+. 

Why have you no regard for pedestrians? As has been stated, there is a footpath which crosses this road which is important for access. Why do you think your desire to travel 10mph faster is more important than the safety of other users?

It isn't. 

27 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why have you no regard for pedestrians? As has been stated, there is a footpath which crosses this road which is important for access. Why do you think your desire to travel 10mph faster is more important than the safety of other users?

It isn't. 

Either a proper pedestrian crossing should be put in place, or it should be accepted it's a dual carriageway unsuitable for pedestrians. There are plenty of similar roads that have higher speed limits. Why should this one be different?

It shouldn't.

18 hours ago, medusa said:

So, if you (hypothetically) worked at Woodland View or Lightwood House, which are just off the south side of the road by the old aerodrome, and you didn't have a car, how would you get in to work on foot without crossing?

Even if you get the bus that stops on the same side of the road on the way to work, you still need to cross to get to the bus that goes back again, and if you get the purple tram to Herdings park, which is a 10 minute walk away, both arriving at work and leaving again would entail crossing a dual carriageway.

Honestly, what's the alternative?  Most of the carers are on very low wage and can't afford a car.  The same applies to staff and visitors at the health and leisure centre, and to St James retail park (and probably others too).

St James's retail park and Graves leisure centre are already served by a proper pedestrian crossing with lights. That stretch should be 40mph. I'm talking about the stretch after Norton, where nobody sticks to 40mph anyway (apart from self righteous forum posters, of course).

4 hours ago, TimmyR said:

i said at congested times somewhere. But even outside of rush hour I can beat cars down penistone road.  There's so many traffic lights that the average speed is only about 20 mph which is easy enough on a bike.

Unless you stop for the red lights on your bike too, in which case it would be impossible to beat the car outside rush hour.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm talking about the stretch after Norton, where nobody sticks to 40mph anyway (apart from self righteous forum posters, of course).

Since when did it become "self righteous" to abide by the law & stick to the speed limit - which has obviously been set at 40MPH for a number of reasons? 

These just might include the facts that there's an established (& official) crossing point for pedestrians & also there's an access road to a school for children with Special Educational Needs with Council Transport buses going in & out, when leaving the school they have to join a busy main road & of course these buses aren't the nippiest vehicles.

Edited by GleadlessLad

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

If the police are so concerned about speeding on this particular road, why don't they have a permanent speed camera installed?

Presumably due to the cost of the installation & maintenance in these times of austerity; also if a speed camera was installed there'd be the usual carry-on of folk slowing for the camera & then speeding off in excess of the speed limit, after passing it.

10 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

Since when did it become "self righteous" to abide by the law & stick to the speed limit - which has obviously been set at 40MPH for a reason, which just might be the fact that there's a crossing point for pedestrians....?

I just find it a tad hard to believe that, given 99% go over 40mph on that stretch, all of the forum posters religiously stick to the limit.

I've addressed the crossing point before.

15 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I've addressed the crossing point before.

Yes - you'd rather it wasn't there and want to hand wave it away.

3 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Bochum Parkway is an open dual carriageway 

Only 1 stretch of it is, the rest goes through or alongside built up areas.

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

Yes - you'd rather it wasn't there and want to hand wave it away.

Correct.

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

Only 1 stretch of it is, the rest goes through or alongside built up areas.

So make the 1 stretch 50mph. Leave the rest at 40mph.

Edited by WiseOwl182

I stick to speed limits for a number of reasons. 

It's far easier than having to look for speed cameras, mobile speed checks and wonder if the car behind is an unmarked police car. 

It is also, to some extent, a protest against often unnecessarily low speed limits and/or people who  ignore them.

It is most definitely not that I am self-righteous, not even close.

People who ignore limits are arrogant and ignorent and think that they are above the law, just like the other morons who drive and park with no respect to other road users.

Discussing the rights and wrongs of a particular speed limit is somewhat futile, nothing is going to change, there will always be people who think it only applies to other people and those who wish to  demonstrate that they are somehow better because they can go faster than those around them. That will apply whatever the speed limit.

The fact still remains that being flashed at whilst driving at the speed limit is beyond ignorant, arrogant, moronic and many other words I am not allowed to use here.

21 minutes ago, Freebooter said:

The fact still remains that being flashed at whilst driving at the speed limit is beyond ignorant, arrogant, moronic and many other words I am not allowed to use here.

I agree with that.

22 minutes ago, Freebooter said:

Discussing the rights and wrongs of a particular speed limit is somewhat futile, nothing is going to change, 

I disagree with that. Speed limits do get reviewed and changed. Usually downwards but sometimes upwards. Discussion of them on a discussion forum is as worthwhile as discussion on any other topic here.