Jump to content

Bochum Parkway speed limit

Recommended Posts

Simple solution; remove the path across the central reservation. A dual carriageway is no place before pedestrians. Then, up the limit to 50mph.

1 hour ago, GleadlessLad said:

 

 

When I drive on Bochum Parkway I always stick to 40 (or lower if the road conditions require a slower speed) 

 

Of course you do. The 99% of drivers who go above 40mph on there don't use the forum. On here, everyone goes 40mph or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Simple solution; remove the path across the central reservation. A dual carriageway is no place before pedestrians.

Apart from the people who need to cross them - Penistone Road / Halifax Road are obvious local examples.  Pretty sure the A5058 Liverpool ring road (dual carriageway) is 30 mph for most of the way - and there must be numerous examples nationally where dual carriageways are less than 50mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Pedestrians could potentially be crossing any dual carriageway if they're stupid enough. They don't make the limits on them all 40mph. There isn't an actual crossing.

So, if you (hypothetically) worked at Woodland View or Lightwood House, which are just off the south side of the road by the old aerodrome, and you didn't have a car, how would you get in to work on foot without crossing?

 

Even if you get the bus that stops on the same side of the road on the way to work, you still need to cross to get to the bus that goes back again, and if you get the purple tram to Herdings park, which is a 10 minute walk away, both arriving at work and leaving again would entail crossing a dual carriageway.

Honestly, what's the alternative?  Most of the carers are on very low wage and can't afford a car.  The same applies to staff and visitors at the health and leisure centre, and to St James retail park (and probably others too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Simple solution; remove the path across the central reservation. A dual carriageway is no place before pedestrians. Then, up the limit to 50mph.

 

Of course you do. The 99% of drivers who go above 40mph on there don't use the forum. On here, everyone goes 40mph or less.

Even simpler solution. 

 

Be an adult, realise the world doesn't revolve around motorists and that other people exist and do stuff that may need you to moderate your actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Not strictly true though is it? Going faster often meets beating a cycle of traffic lights, which is a minute saved each time.

but that isn't true is it?  You overtake the cyclist, accelerate to 40, then stop in the next queue and the cyclist catches you up again.  Like I say its an illusion.  I've been cycling down penistone road for the last 20 years and I regularly make a note of which cars are by me when I'm in hlllsborough. Without going through red lights I always overtake far more cars than overtake me and beat maybe 20 cars or more to derek dooley way.  Unless its 3am or something.  It only makes a difference where there are no traffic lights or roundabouts.  All you do by accelerating to high speeds and then braking is use more fuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently had a discussion with someone who carries out the speed day things for the police - they observed people driving below the speed limit(not an offence but enough to be sanctioned on a test) on 30mph and 40 mph roads and then speeding on other 40 and 50's etc to make up time. The point was - why not drive at the speed limit all the time(unless conditions suggest otherwise) and then perhaps there'd be no need to make up time etc.

But then again on that stretch of road why would you be in the outside lane whilst doing 40 for any length of time,(if he wasn't in the outside lane he could have been overtaken) unless you were sitting there waiting to turn right at the end of the road - which isn't what dual carriageways are for,yet again another sanction on your driving test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Simple solution; remove the path across the central reservation. A dual carriageway is no place before pedestrians. Then, up the limit to 50mph.

 

Of course you do. The 99% of drivers who go above 40mph on there don't use the forum. On here, everyone goes 40mph or less.

Or another simple solution, stick in a few average speed cameras and it will safe for the pedestrians.

1 hour ago, TimmyR said:

but that isn't true is it?  You overtake the cyclist, accelerate to 40, then stop in the next queue and the cyclist catches you up again.  Like I say its an illusion.  I've been cycling down penistone road for the last 20 years and I regularly make a note of which cars are by me when I'm in hlllsborough. Without going through red lights I always overtake far more cars than overtake me and beat maybe 20 cars or more to derek dooley way.  Unless its 3am or something.  It only makes a difference where there are no traffic lights or roundabouts.  All you do by accelerating to high speeds and then braking is use more fuel.

Outside of rush hour a car handily wins over a bike on Penistone Rd.  But in rush hour I'm sure you're correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, willman said:

I recently had a discussion with someone who carries out the speed day things for the police - they observed people driving below the speed limit(not an offence but enough to be sanctioned on a test) on 30mph and 40 mph roads and then speeding on other 40 and 50's etc to make up time. The point was - why not drive at the speed limit all the time(unless conditions suggest otherwise) and then perhaps there'd be no need to make up time etc.

But then again on that stretch of road why would you be in the outside lane whilst doing 40 for any length of time,(if he wasn't in the outside lane he could have been overtaken) unless you were sitting there waiting to turn right at the end of the road - which isn't what dual carriageways are for,yet again another sanction on your driving test.

I can think of plenty of 30 mph roads where 30 is normally much too fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GleadlessLad said:

I read somewhere recently that the police are aware of the issue of people flouting the speed limit on Bochum Parkway & the danger this causes to pedestrians; consequently they sometimes drive along that road in an un-marked vehicle specifically to catch people speeding.

 

 

If the police are so concerned about speeding on this particular road, why don't they have a permanent speed camera installed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Or another simple solution, stick in a few average speed cameras and it will safe for the pedestrians.

Outside of rush hour a car handily wins over a bike on Penistone Rd.  But in rush hour I'm sure you're correct.

i said at congested times somewhere. But even outside of rush hour I can beat cars down penistone road.  There's so many traffic lights that the average speed is only about 20 mph which is easy enough on a bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statistically, the roundabouts at each end of the Bochum Parkway are far more likely to see accidents than the distance in between. Given the volume of traffic on that section the number of accidents per number of journeys is very low. Check the facts by searching here for last 19 years; https://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

 

That may explain the lack of speed cameras, but the views expressed here may also explain why the limit isn't increased. Some treat it as motorway anyway (70mph +10!) so any further encouragement is unwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Longcol said:

Apart from the people who need to cross them - Penistone Road / Halifax Road are obvious local examples.  Pretty sure the A5058 Liverpool ring road (dual carriageway) is 30 mph for most of the way - and there must be numerous examples nationally where dual carriageways are less than 50mph.

Penistone Rd has designated pedestrian crossings with traffic lights. Bochum Parkway is an open dual carriageway without traffic light crossings. It should be 50mph+. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.