Bochum Parkway speed limit

10 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Hunters Bar roundabout - pedestrians hit the button and every time I see it, the lights turn to red INSTANTLY. Result is a constant trickle of crossings rather than efficient batches, and Brocco Bank being a car park right back up to the Hallamshire Hospital.

Examples of pointlessly taking away left turn give ways by making them part of the traffic light sequence instead include Abbey Lane/Abbeydale Road South, and Woodseats/Meadowhead debacle.

The Abbey Lane/ Abbeydale Road South crossroads also had the right turn filter taken away for no reason. Archer Road from Millhouses is another example.  

Oh, and Penistone Road - what the hell is that bus lane that converges into the left hand lane without any warning, or sign of who has priority?

Nothing is ever done for "no reason".

There's always a very good reason for it. You may not understand it or agree with it, but it's done for a reason.

Would you like me to PM you some contact details for one of the engineers at Urban Traffic Control who knows all the reasoning for the way these sites have been set up? He's much better at explaining it than me and would be happy to talk you through it.

Why do you need a sign to tell you to watch out for other road users and drive courteously?  Are the buses not big enough to see? Doesn' t the highway code tell you to merge in turn when approaching a point where lanes merge? 

47 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Nothing is ever done for "no reason".

There's always a very good reason for it. You may not understand it or agree with it, but it's done for a reason.

Would you like me to PM you some contact details for one of the engineers at Urban Traffic Control who knows all the reasoning for the way these sites have been set up? He's much better at explaining it than me and would be happy to talk you through it.

Why do you need a sign to tell you to watch out for other road users and drive courteously?  Are the buses not big enough to see? Doesn' t the highway code tell you to merge in turn when approaching a point where lanes merge? 

You could answer based on your own expertise.

Regarding the ridiculous bus lane situation on Penistone Road, merge in turn is usually signed, even if only by arrows on the road. Penistone Road bus lane merging is a badly designed free for all 

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Well it's clearly not working is it? Congestion gets worse and worse, so people are just stubbornly sticking to their cars. I don't blame them. 

Eh? 

We don't have a network of safe cycle routes, nor do we have a half-decent public transport provision.

(Bus lanes aren't continuous, and people often are allowed to park on bus routes. And the less said about the tram system the better).

If it's not working, it's because we haven't even tried.

Just now, ads36 said:

Eh? 

We don't have a network of safe cycle routes, nor do we have a half-decent public transport provision.

(Bus lanes aren't continuous, and people often are allowed to park on bus routes. And the less said about the tram system the better).

If it's not working, it's because we haven't even tried.

Yes we have. For the last 15 to 20 years, all new road measures in Sheffield have been anti car and pro cycling and public transport. I've outlined several examples in this thread. I don't see the "magic" that you talk about though, because congestion just gets worse. People need, and want, to use their cars. Time to accept it and plan for the required volume of cars instead.

It's just not true or accurate to suggest that Sheffield has even a basic cycle network. 

People are allowed to park in bus routes.

Trams have to share space with queuing cars.

I could go on, but I doubt you'll be convinced.

Edited by ads36

17 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

For the last 15 to 20 years, all new road measures in Sheffield have been anti car

So, for example, widening the town end of  Penistone road into a dual carriageway and completing the inner ring road were anti-car measures?

35 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

For the last 15 to 20 years, all new road measures in Sheffield have been anti car and pro cycling and public transport. 

Much of the funding that Councils have access to nowadays is about improving public transport and walking / cycling, so that's basically what you'd expect. It's national government policy. 

One of the problems is that some measures you see as anti-car are not, they are done to help traffic flow. One way systems and banned turns are examples of this.

39 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Congestion just gets worse. 

Yep. Something to do with there being more vehicles on the road. Even the Americans realise they can't build their way out of congestion.

38 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Political decision based on no evidence.

They trialled it for 9 months and found that, apart from 4 bus lanes, scrapping them had barely any impact on bus journey times but made a big improvement to average car journey times. That's the kind of attitude we need in Sheffield.

21 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Much of the funding that Councils have access to nowadays is about improving public transport and walking / cycling, so that's basically what you'd expect. It's national government policy. 

One of the problems is that some measures you see as anti-car are not, they are done to help traffic flow. One way systems and banned turns are examples of this.

They make congestion worse. Wind back the changes, and scrap the bus lanes.

39 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

They make congestion worse. Wind back the changes, and scrap the bus lanes.

With what money?

This thread was started about the "Bochum Parkway speed limit" and has changed to "...People need, and want, to use their cars. "

As the argument for increasing the limit to 50 mph (or 70 mph) was soundly  shown to be very expensive and negative to all road users, why have  we have moved on to  Bus Lanes, Car v Public transport etc.?

This has been covered in many threads before and the outcome is always predictable.

It is a good idea to focus a on a particular issue, and one day somebody on here might come up with a good idea.