Bochum Parkway speed limit

12 hours ago, ads36 said:

Running a car costs £3000 / year, and that's if only used for short journeys.

Not sure where you get that figure from.   I've just put my car details into a "how much does it cost a year" and it came up with £1,178/yr

12 hours ago, ads36 said:

Running a car costs £3000 / year, and that's if only used for short journeys.

We sold one of our cars a couple of years ago. We haven't saved those £6000, we've spent them.

If you want an economic boost, invest in transport modes that enable more people to live without so many cars.

So selling your car has had no impact either way on the economy, because either way you've spent £3000.  That's not a boost, it's neutral.

So selling your car has had no impact either way on the economy, because either way you've spent £3000.  That's not a boost, it's neutral.

big picture : yes, you're right.

locally : not really

loan repayments are made to a bank, that's ~£150/month.

insurance was ~£50/month

that's £200 / month leaving the local economy, maybe even the national economy.

(plus petrol, etc. there's £250/month = £3000/year, before we even think about maintenance)

instead, i'm spending much of that money locally.

so yes, there's not 'more' money in the system, it's not magic. but i've got more to spend, and i do, and it's spent in places that make a difference locally.

Edited by ads36

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Not sure where you get that figure from.   I've just put my car details into a "how much does it cost a year" and it came up with £1,178/yr

loan*

insurance

fuel

couple of tyres

MOT

servicing

small** repairs

parking

(*no loan? own your car outright? good for you, but you've got something like 5 years to save up to buy it's replacement)

(**oh, whoops. your rear discs need replacing. good luck getting that done for less than £300. etc.)

the big ticket items there are loan, insurance, and fuel. it would be a stretch to say they're good for the local economy...

Edited by ads36

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Motoring organisations like the RAC Foundation reckon it costs circa £3.5k per annum to run a car. That's including all costs like depreciation. 

18 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The bus lanes end yards from the stop line. It might be enough outside peak hours but during rush hour, it isn't. Queuing traffic often blocks junctions. Do you drive much in the city?

Most bus lanes end at least 25m before the stop line at signalled junctions, some, the ones on Penistone Rd for example, end a good 50m before the stop line. That's plenty of space for other traffic to be able to occupy all lanes at the stop line. The amount of vehicles per hour you can get across the stop line is what determines the capacity of the junction. Removing the bus lanes would not get any more vehicles across the stop line, so you would not see any significant difference in the amount of delay you experience at a junction. You might perceive it as being better as you'd queue in both lanes, so the queue would look shorter.

I drive in the city all the time. Up until recently I worked in the city centre and drove in most days, usually at peak times. Also, for many years I worked in the Council's urban traffic control team. They have loads of cameras all around the highway network and therefore have a much better overview of how traffic behaves than most drivers do. I've spent more time than I care to remember observing traffic in Sheffield, so I'd like to think I have a good understanding of how it works.

There is queuing traffic at peak times in Sheffield, just like any other city or town. I'd say congestion here isn't as bad as in other comparably sized cities (and I have worked in a couple of those too). By and large, when traffic queues, divers stop in a place that allows other traffic movements to continue, so junctions aren't often physically blocked. It occasionally happens, but doesn't generally last for long.

Edited by Planner1

39 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Motoring organisations like the RAC Foundation reckon it costs circa £3.5k per annum to run a car. That's including all costs like depreciation. 

Assuming my car has depreciated to zero value, I've averaged £1343 p/a over the last 9 years - that includes petrol, insurance etc. Then again I own a cheap city car.

have you included the 'cost' of saving for it's replacement?

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

That's going to vary massively depending on the value of the car and the miles driven of course, not to mention that tax can be between £0 and £500 a year depending on the car as well these days.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

That's going to vary massively depending on the value of the car and the miles driven of course, not to mention that tax can be between £0 and £500 a year depending on the car as well these days.

This article: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/car-costs-uk-poorest-families-increase-third-year-rac-foundation-disposable-income-average-motoring-a8262931.html

reckons that those with lowest levels of disposable income spend over £3k per annum and the average across all disposable income bands is over £5k

4 hours ago, ads36 said:

have you included the 'cost' of saving for it's replacement?

That would be double counting so he shouldn't have. That cost will be taken into account in the TCO of the next car.

On 05/02/2019 at 00:06, Jim Hardie said:

I've yet to see a pedestrian crossing that road and it looks like he'd need a machete to cross the central reservation.

There is a pedstrian crossing on the parkway and its 70 mph so forget about that