Bochum Parkway speed limit

16 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

They're already there. Take a few down and replace with 50s.

I doubt a crash barrier is needed on Bochum Parkway, but quote me happy on making it a 50?

if I recall correctly there is no barrier in the centre reserve and that's where the street lighting columns are. On higher speed roads, the street lighting has to have crash barrier protection if I'm recalling correctly. Also signing and lining requirements vary depending on the speed limit too.

It's never just a case of sticking up different speed limit signs, there are many other considerations.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

if I recall correctly there is no barrier in the centre reserve and that's where the street lighting columns are. On higher speed roads, the street lighting has to have crash barrier protection if I'm recalling correctly. Also signing and lining requirements vary depending on the speed limit too.

It's never just a case of sticking up different speed limit signs, there are many other considerations.

So how much then?

18 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

So how much then?

"So how much then"?....What !   The Costs...The Speed Limit?:huh:

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

So how much then?

I’m not well up on current prices but if you need barrier on both sides up the centre res and maybe other measures too , you are looking at tens of thousands, maybe six figures I’d think.

And of course, remembering that slightly higher speeds on this short stretch of road would be more or less pointless...

5 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

They're already there. Take a few down and replace with 50s.

They're not already there. 

There are no signs on that mile stretch to take down and replace, except the small repeater discs.

Perhaps the current signage of the whole route should be redesigned so that even regular users  know where the speed limits change.

13 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

They're not already there. 

There are no signs on that mile stretch to take down and replace, except the small repeater discs.

Perhaps the current signage of the whole route should be redesigned so that even regular users  know where the speed limits change.

The limit is 40 virtually the whole way from Norton to Sheffield Parkway, apart from an already clearly signed 30mph at Manor Top, so I don't think that's necessary.

Edited by WiseOwl182

33 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The limit is 40 virtually the whole way from Norton to Sheffield Parkway, apart from an already clearly signed 30mph at Manor Top, so I don't think that's necessary.

You have correctly identified the current situation and the very reason why new 50 signage will be needed.

Both Lightwood and Norton Lane roundabouts are in the 40mph limit zone with only repeaters needed. 

Drivers would  have  to be informed that they are entering/ leaving  this new 50mph 'stretch'  between Lightwood and Norton Lane so new signs will be needed.

59 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You have correctly identified the current situation and the very reason why new 50 signage will be needed.

Both Lightwood and Norton Lane roundabouts are in the 40mph limit zone with only repeaters needed. 

Drivers would  have  to be informed that they are entering/ leaving  this new 50mph 'stretch'  between Lightwood and Norton Lane so new signs will be needed.

Obviously new 50 signs would be needed. A worthwhile investment. 

39 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Obviously new 50 signs would be needed. A worthwhile investment. 

Previously not needed and unnecessary, they are now needed.

Now we know its is a bit more than a few discs, how much will it cost  for the new signs?

At the Norton Lane end where will the new signs be placed?

Will it be before or after the farm entrances, school entrance, road crossing, footpaths etc. 

How many more warning/hazard signs will be needed(eg. SLOW DOWN, Heavy Plant crossing etc.) on the main road and side roads?

Is it still worth it for half a mile?

On 09/02/2019 at 20:29, ads36 said:

On the parkway?

there's loads of junctions, lots of traffic joining, and leaving. The slip roads are short, and often uphill, hence merging traffic is travelling slowly.

thats why it's a 50.

plus, there's almost always a queue at each end - rendering higher speeds completely pointless.

Functionally, it's not even a 50 - reducing the limit would make more sense. It wouldn't increase most journey times, it would reduce the length of the stop-start queues, it would reduce the amount of fuel pointlessly burnt by people  accelerating  to 50+, and it would reduce the road noise inflicted on those who live next to it.

I wasn't actually questioning the 50 limit but comparing it to the traffic on Boham Parkway, simply saying that whilst it was to some extent ignored, this was less than the almost universal ignoring that occurs there. I did say that the 30 limit at the beginning of the parkway was wrong.

The slip roads onto Sheffield Parkway are a whole set of different wrongs however.