Bochum Parkway speed limit

On 07/02/2019 at 09:12, ads36 said:

why?

i drove along it this morning, it's a mile long.

1 mile at 50 mph will take 1minute 12 seconds

1 mile at 40 mph will take 1 minute 30 seconds.

a whopping 18 second saving. IF - and that's a big IF, your journey ends at the roundabout (either end).

there's very little point raising the limit.

Not to mention the safety issues already discussed

1 hour ago, Daven said:

Not to mention the safety issues already discussed

Or the cost implications

16 hours ago, Freebooter said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. 

Whilst there may be a few satisfied with a 50 limit, the majority will not. it is the same on any road irrespective of the limit. Motorways are a prime example. Try driving at 70 and you will find that you will be overtaken regularly, in fact, other than HGV's etc. that are limited to 56 (LOL), you could easily be overtaken more than you overtake.

Yes, because for most motorways, the limit should be 80mph.

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

It's a step in the wrong direction. One of the original reasons for the 40 limit was to reduce traffic noise for local residents.

Does your need to save 18 seconds override that?

What's the decibel difference in distant traffic between 40mph and 50mph?

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Oh right, yes, you were repeating a point that I made 3 pages ago, well done.

Indeed, it was a valid point which the other poster overlooked, hence me re-stating it.

3 hours ago, Foot said:

Or the cost implications

How much are 50mph speed disc signs?

7 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes, because for most motorways, the limit should be 80mph.

We await your campaign with interest 😎

Reference Wiseowl "limit on motorways should be 80"

I could agree with this but it does not change the fact that whatever the limit is there will still be people who ignore it. 

My original post was really about the way those people treat others who obey the limit.

Bochum Parkway is not the only stretch of road that has speed limit issues.

Take as an example the Parkway out of Sheffield from Park Square. The limit on Bochum Parkway could be discussed forever without being resolved. The 30 limit from Park Square to the first set of traffic lights is not only ludicrous but almost universally ignored. Even I, in my completely un-selfrighteous way, ignore it when other traffic is present, driving at 30 would not only be dangerous but highly impracticle. Travel further to the 50 limit.

There really is no excuse for this limit. Interestingly, whilst many do ignore it, I feel that it is less common  than those on Bochum Parkway compared with the amount of traffic. I use this strecth of the Parkway most days, rush hour or otherwise.

Edited by Freebooter

3 hours ago, Freebooter said:

Bochum Parkway is not the only stretch of road that has speed limit issues.

Take as an example the Parkway out of Sheffield from Park Square. The limit on Bochum Parkway could be discussed forever without being resolved. The 30 limit from Park Square to the first set of traffic lights is not only ludicrous but almost universally ignored. Even I, in my completely un-selfrighteous way, ignore it when other traffic is present, driving at 30 would not only be dangerous but highly impracticle. Travel further to the 50 limit.

There really is no excuse for this limit. Interestingly, whilst many do ignore it, I feel that it is less common  than those on Bochum Parkway compared with the amount of traffic. I use this strecth of the Parkway most days, rush hour or otherwise.

It's probably down to that being a much shorter stretch and with a higher chance of being caught, being in the city centre.

23 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

How much are 50mph speed disc signs?

As I mentioned previously, I'm pretty sure increasing the speed limit up to 50 on a dual carriageway would require the installation of crash barrier along the central reservation. Also the street lighting might need upgrading to meet the requirements for a 50mph road as the lighting class for a 40 and 50 speed limit are different. So probably not quite as cheap as sticking up a few 50 roundels, eh?

Edited by Foot

3 hours ago, Foot said:

As I mentioned previously, I'm pretty sure increasing the speed limit up to 50 on a dual carriageway would require the installation of crash barrier along the central reservation. Also the street lighting might need upgrading to meet the requirements for a 50mph road as the lighting class for a 40 and 50 speed limit are different. So probably not quite as cheap as sticking up a few 50 roundels, eh?

I've driven on 50mph dual carriageways without a central reservation. It's definitely a candidate for a speed increase.

As it happened I drove on it earlier and made sure I stuck to the 40mph limit dead on, so I could accurately judge if others were speeding. My experiment found that 100% of drivers on the same road at that time were speeding above 40mph. Many will have been doing about 60mph.

Edited by WiseOwl182

12 hours ago, Freebooter said:

There really is no excuse for this limit

On the parkway?

there's loads of junctions, lots of traffic joining, and leaving. The slip roads are short, and often uphill, hence merging traffic is travelling slowly.

thats why it's a 50.

plus, there's almost always a queue at each end - rendering higher speeds completely pointless.

Functionally, it's not even a 50 - reducing the limit would make more sense. It wouldn't increase most journey times, it would reduce the length of the stop-start queues, it would reduce the amount of fuel pointlessly burnt by people  accelerating  to 50+, and it would reduce the road noise inflicted on those who live next to it.

Edited by ads36

Increasing the speed limits on a short stretch of road reduces the average speed of all vehicles and traffic jams on side roads.

The act of excessive accelerating and decelerating over short distances,   causes following vehicles  to brake harder as they see the brake lights  in front come on far too early for the junction ahead. 

This effect progresses backward.  We all have seen this effect on Motorways where vehicles slow down or even stop and then move off again leaving the driver scratching their heads looking for a reason. This is sometimes called a 'standing wave'.

When there is no apparent reason, it is often due to poor driving skills of those who cause this by excessive accelerating and decelerating and then suffer from it the same behaviour of others ahead.

However they will blame this on the Council, the HA, the 'slow'  driver, everyone apart from themselves.

Depending on the nature of the road and how busy it is, there is an optimal speed that will move most traffic along its length. A higher speed limit that results in 'bunching'  because of increasing  acceleration and deceleration.

A 'variable' speed limit would be ideal, but as too many drivers cannot cope with fixed limits, there is no hope of introducing this on all but a few select roads.

13 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Increasing the speed limits on a short stretch of road reduces the average speed of all vehicles and traffic jams on side roads.

The act of excessive accelerating and decelerating over short distances,   causes following vehicles  to brake harder as they see the brake lights  in front come on far too early for the junction ahead. 

This effect progresses backward.  We all have seen this effect on Motorways where vehicles slow down or even stop and then move off again leaving the driver scratching their heads looking for a reason. This is sometimes called a 'standing wave'.

When there is no apparent reason, it is often due to poor driving skills of those who cause this by excessive accelerating and decelerating and then suffer from it the same behaviour of others ahead.

However they will blame this on the Council, the HA, the 'slow'  driver, everyone apart from themselves.

Depending on the nature of the road and how busy it is, there is an optimal speed that will move most traffic along its length. A higher speed limit that results in 'bunching'  because of increasing  acceleration and deceleration.

A 'variable' speed limit would be ideal, but as too many drivers cannot cope with fixed limits, there is no hope of introducing this on all but a few select roads.

The stretch of road in question is around 1 mile long. The majority of vehicles travel around 50mph or higher on it anyway. Changing the limit would have no actual real life effect, it would just legalise the 'speeding' most drivers on there do already.