Bochum Parkway speed limit

24 minutes ago, Freebooter said:

People who ignore limits are arrogant and ignorent and think that they are above the law, just like the other morons who drive and park with no respect to other road users.

I disagree with that. I'd estimate 90% to 95% of drivers ignore the limit on the particular stretch of Bochum Parkway being discussed. They're not all moronic and arrogant, the speed limit is just artificially low. Putting them in the same camp as, say, someone speeding at 40 in a 20 zone next to a school at 3:30pm is just wrong.

43 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

So make the 1 stretch 50mph.

And watch the average speed rise to around 65mph.

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Unless you stop for the red lights on your bike too, in which case it would be impossible to beat the car outside rush hour.

I do stop at the red lights or i move onto the cycle path to get round them - which is entirely legal.

13 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Unless you stop for the red lights on your bike too, in which case it would be impossible to beat the car outside rush hour.

Obviously he could filter past numerous cars before stopping AT THE FRONT at the traffic lights.

So in heavy traffic it would be quite easy to make better progress than the motor traffic.

So make the 1 stretch 50mph. Leave the rest at 40mph.

why?

i drove along it this morning, it's a mile long.

1 mile at 50 mph will take 1minute 12 seconds

1 mile at 40 mph will take 1 minute 30 seconds.

a whopping 18 second saving. IF - and that's a big IF, your journey ends at the roundabout (either end).

there's very little point raising the limit.

I believe upping the speed limit would mean having to install  crash barriers along the central reserve..........hardly a good use of scarce funds.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Obviously he could filter past numerous cars before stopping AT THE FRONT at the traffic lights.

So in heavy traffic it would be quite easy to make better progress than the motor traffic.

Hence why I said "outside of rush hour". Obviously you need to better read through posts before replying.

9 hours ago, ads36 said:

why?

i drove along it this morning, it's a mile long.

1 mile at 50 mph will take 1minute 12 seconds

1 mile at 40 mph will take 1 minute 30 seconds.

a whopping 18 second saving. IF - and that's a big IF, your journey ends at the roundabout (either end).

there's very little point raising the limit.

It's a step in the right direction.

By "nothing is going to change", I meant that whatever the limit might be there will always be those who will ignore it and drive as they please. 

Also, when has an "artificially low" limit been an excuse to ignore it?

One of my other non-righteous reasons for driving at the speed limit is, how much more stupid could one be than by saying " sorry officer, 40 mph is too low, it should be 60, so thats what I was driving at".

Get real!

15 minutes ago, Freebooter said:

By "nothing is going to change", I meant that whatever the limit might be there will always be those who will ignore it and drive as they please. 

Also, when has an "artificially low" limit been an excuse to ignore it?

One of my other non-righteous reasons for driving at the speed limit is, how much more stupid could one be than by saying " sorry officer, 40 mph is too low, it should be 60, so thats what I was driving at".

Get real!

Those who ignore 40mph and go 50mph wouldn't go faster just because the limit was raised to 50mph. They'd mainly drive as before, but it would no longer be above the limit. 

Since nearly everyone goes above 40mph on that stretch, I doubt anyone ever gets pulled over. I'm not condoning speeding, far from it, but I'm arguing that the limit should be reviewed by the powers that be.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Those who ignore 40mph and go 50mph wouldn't go faster just because the limit was raised to 50mph. They'd mainly drive as before, but it would no longer be above the limit. 

Since nearly everyone goes above 40mph on that stretch, I doubt anyone ever gets pulled over. I'm not condoning speeding, far from it, but I'm arguing that the limit should be reviewed by the powers that be.

Sorry, I have to disagree. 

Whilst there may be a few satisfied with a 50 limit, the majority will not. it is the same on any road irrespective of the limit. Motorways are a prime example. Try driving at 70 and you will find that you will be overtaken regularly, in fact, other than HGV's etc. that are limited to 56 (LOL), you could easily be overtaken more than you overtake.

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Hence why I said "outside of rush hour". Obviously you need to better read through posts before replying.

It's a step in the wrong direction. One of the original reasons for the 40 limit was to reduce traffic noise for local residents.

Does your need to save 18 seconds override that?

7 hours ago, Freebooter said:

Sorry, I have to disagree. 

Whilst there may be a few satisfied with a 50 limit, the majority will not. it is the same on any road irrespective of the limit. Motorways are a prime example. Try driving at 70 and you will find that you will be overtaken regularly, in fact, other than HGV's etc. that are limited to 56 (LOL), you could easily be overtaken more than you overtake.

That's not really evidence to support your point.

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Oh right, yes, you were repeating a point that I made 3 pages ago, well done.