Bochum Parkway speed limit

11 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

No matter what the speed limit is, it has the feel of a 50/60 mph road and that's why many drivers exceed the limit, putting the twice yearly pedestrian in danger. A footbridge would be more appropriate than a 40 mph limit.

There is a road which I've drove on which is the NSL but I wouldn't do more than 30mph on it due to the blind corners and how narrow it is. Funnily enough the best time to drive on it is during the night when you can see lights approaching through the trees and overhanging bushes.

What people always seem to forget is there's several schools, one of them for kids with disabilities and special needs on and near the road.  Any faster speed limit might take 10 seconds of the journey.  It's really not worth the hassle the speed limit changing.

I always assumed it was because you'd end up having to have a stretch of it at 40mph, then the middle part at 60mph, then back down to 40mph.

Far easier to just put the whole thing at 40mph.

20 hours ago, Longcol said:

Pedestrians could potentially be crossing any dual carriageway if they're stupid enough. They don't make the limits on them all 40mph. There isn't an actual crossing.

7 hours ago, TimmyR said:

i wish everyone would stop labouring under the illusion that in a congested urban environment if you can drive faster you'll get there quicker.  Sure your peak speed may increase but your average will not.   If you want to get there quicker, get a bike...

Not strictly true though is it? Going faster often meets beating a cycle of traffic lights, which is a minute saved each time.

4 hours ago, mike84 said:

What people always seem to forget is there's several schools, one of them for kids with disabilities and special needs on and near the road.  Any faster speed limit might take 10 seconds of the journey.  It's really not worth the hassle the speed limit changing.

There's no crossing or entrance on the long stretch that most people speed on. 40mph is an artificially low limit.

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

I always assumed it was because you'd end up having to have a stretch of it at 40mph, then the middle part at 60mph, then back down to 40mph.

Far easier to just put the whole thing at 40mph.

Far easier for whom? As a driver, I'm capable of adjusting my speed accordingly. 50mph or NSL signs are no more difficult to erect than 40mph ones.

There are two very well used public footpaths one of which crosses over the parkway from Cinderhill Lane.  There is also a lane which Farm vehicles and cars turn into and the speed vehicles come up behind you possibly not believing you are indicating to turn down this lane. As someone else said there is a nursery turn off and a Special school turn off too.  Quite obviously the reason it is 40mph on this stretch of road.

Interesting replies to my original post.

My point really though was that if I choose to observe the speed limit, I should not have to put up with agression from people who choose to ignore it. 

58 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Far easier for whom? As a driver, I'm capable of adjusting my speed accordingly. 50mph or NSL signs are no more difficult to erect than 40mph ones.

You may be, but the public in general are idiots.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Pedestrians could potentially be crossing any dual carriageway if they're stupid enough. They don't make the limits on them all 40mph. There isn't an actual crossing.

Go look at the link in post #7 - and also try the satellite view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.330906,-1.4543909,41m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

I wonder why the path has been placed across the central reservation?

15 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Bochum parkway should be a 60mph Road, the only reason it’s not is that when seeking planning after objections from Norton residents it was agreed to keep the limit at 40mph to limit traffic noise for residents.

That’s also why the Police don’t set speed traps as the speed limit is not seen as critical to road safety.

So those residents should now be subjected to the extra noise, in order to save a few seconds for road users.

Entirely the wrong balance IMHO. The world doesn't revolve around motorists and keeping them moving as fast as possible.

51 minutes ago, Freebooter said:

Interesting replies to my original post.

My point really though was that if I choose to observe the speed limit, I should not have to put up with agression from people who choose to ignore it. 

Simples - you shouldn't have to put up with it.

I sometimes use that pedestrian crossing point (which is, as others have pointed out, an official crossing, as indicated by the path across the central reservation & also the presence of warning signs); but it's often quite difficult to cross the road safely due to the number of drivers who seem to ignore the 40MPH speed limit.

When I drive on Bochum Parkway I always stick to 40 (or lower if the road conditions require a slower speed) & when doing 40 I regularly see other traffic tearing past me at high speed & aggressively tailgating other vehicles.

I read somewhere recently that the police are aware of the issue of people flouting the speed limit on Bochum Parkway & the danger this causes to pedestrians; consequently they sometimes drive along that road in an un-marked vehicle specifically to catch people speeding.

Edited by GleadlessLad