Bochum Parkway speed limit

I don't like driving at 40 mph on here any more than anyone else, but it is the speed limit so I choose to obey it.  The fact that some snowflake at the council who would clearly like us all to drive at 10 mph cannot set a realistically practical limit is irrelevant.

The fact that even if it were 50, many would still ignore it is also irrelevant, at least the difference between the limit and the average speeds would be less.

Other than the fact that because I choose to do this whilst everyone else does not, puts me and them in unnesessary danger, what they do is up to them.

I will not however tolerate some <removed>, flashing agressively because he cannot overtake me due to others already doing so at 50 /60 mph.

Total Moron.

Edited by nikki-red

yes, he/she's a moron, it's 40 for good reason.

Surprised there is never a speed camera van on that road, they would catch loads.

It's ridiculous that it's a 40mph limit and virtually nobody sticks to it (apart from, no doubt, everybody who posts on this thread). There's no excuse for aggressive driving though, they're idiots.

11 hours ago, ads36 said:

yes, he/she's a moron, it's 40 for good reason.

Agreed on the first point, but not the second - what's the good reason? It's a dual carriageway, non-residential and with a central reservation. Virtually anywhere else would be 50mph minimum.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Agreed on the first point, but not the second - what's the good reason? It's a dual carriageway, non-residential and with a central reservation. Virtually anywhere else would be 50mph minimum.

I think the answer is due to this;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3313814,-1.4516266,3a,37.5y,270h,90.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sONqKOp7WF3ypzRG2kp-kBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&amp;authuser=0

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I've yet to see a pedestrian crossing that road and it looks like he'd need a machete to cross the central reservation.

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

I've yet to see a pedestrian crossing that road and it looks like he'd need a machete to cross the central reservation.

No machete needed - here we go a little further down the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3308091,-1.4542367,3a,75y,283.32h,75.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slnqDMOu5ABhi1832-f4KPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&amp;authuser=0

And just because you haven't seen a pedestrian cross doesn't mean pedestrians don't cross there.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

No machete needed - here we go a little further down the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3308091,-1.4542367,3a,75y,283.32h,75.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slnqDMOu5ABhi1832-f4KPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&amp;authuser=0

And just because you haven't seen a pedestrian cross doesn't mean pedestrians don't cross there.

No matter what the speed limit is, it has the feel of a 50/60 mph road and that's why many drivers exceed the limit, putting the twice yearly pedestrian in danger. A footbridge would be more appropriate than a 40 mph limit.

Bochum parkway should be a 60mph Road, the only reason it’s not is that when seeking planning after objections from Norton residents it was agreed to keep the limit at 40mph to limit traffic noise for residents.

That’s also why the Police don’t set speed traps as the speed limit is not seen as critical to road safety.

Jim Hardie

•  

A footbridge would be more appropriate than a 40 mph limit.

you might be right, but a footbridge would cost a million quid or so.

it's not as if it's a long road, where significant time-savings would be realised by higher speeds, it's short, and littered with roundabouts and junctions.

at rush hour(s), we're all queuing through these junctions anyway - higher speeds would just put us in the same position, in the same queue. no time would be saved, but more petrol would be burned.

11 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

No matter what the speed limit is, it has the feel of a 50/60 mph road and that's why many drivers exceed the limit, putting the twice yearly pedestrian in danger. A footbridge would be more appropriate than a 40 mph limit.

i wish everyone would stop labouring under the illusion that in a congested urban environment if you can drive faster you'll get there quicker.  Sure your peak speed may increase but your average will not.   If you want to get there quicker, get a bike...

Edited by TimmyR

7 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Bochum parkway should be a 60mph Road, the only reason it’s not is that when seeking planning after objections from Norton residents it was agreed to keep the limit at 40mph to limit traffic noise for residents.

That’s also why the Police don’t set speed traps as the speed limit is not seen as critical to road safety.

I hadn't realised this. I did wonder about the 40mph since the A43 near Silverstone is national speed limit and has pedestrian crossings so I figured it wasn't that.