my window got smashed

hello, someone put a brick threw my bedroom window and just wanted to know if the council will replace it for free or will i have to pay for it? 

Sorry to hear that. I don't know for sure, but assuming it's a council house I would have thought the council will fix it for you.

54 minutes ago, Kellogz5 said:

hello, someone put a brick threw my bedroom window and just wanted to know if the council will replace it for free or will i have to pay for it? 

Would you need a crime reference to get it done for free even though it's a council house ? 

59 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Would you need a crime reference to get it done for free even though it's a council house ? 

It's unlikely that the police will 'crime' it if there were no witnesses or CCTV evidence.

Hi Before you rush out and report it to the Council as a repair?

Do you have House Insurance? Accident Insurance, Check your Home Contents Policy for Fixed Glass/Vandalism etc? I know it's included on most Buildings Insurance Policies.

You might be able to Claim?

For instance, sometimes insurance co's have their preferred - Repair Guys.

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Yes, that is from experience as well.

Twenty odd years ago I was an Insurance Agent.     In our home contents policies was a section which covered breakages of council house windows because tenants were responsible for the windows.    I presume they still are.

14 minutes ago, Groose said:

Yes, that is from experience as well.

Thought that might be the case , perhaps the price of replacement glass might not be too much and they are not difficult to fit .i replaced a cracked double glazed pane and it only cost about £40 

Edited by rudds1

On 03/02/2019 at 19:55, DeZeus said:

Hi Before you rush out and report it to the Council as a repair?

Do you have House Insurance**? Accident Insurance, Check your Home Contents Policy for Fixed Glass/Vandalism etc? I know it's included on most Buildings Insurance Policies.

You might be able to Claim?

For instance, sometimes insurance co's have their preferred - Repair Guys.

** No, a Council tenant on a Secure Tenancy [Housing Act 1985] cannot insure the building.

48 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

** No, a Council tenant on a Secure Tenancy [Housing Act 1985] cannot insure the building.

He said .....    check your Home Contents Policy.