Lansdowne pub, London road

Does anyone know the year that the lansdowne pub closed down please?

On 03/02/2019 at 15:59, mabel lily said:

Does anyone know the year that the lansdowne pub closed down please?

I remember the Lansdowne well it closed

around 1986, 1987

23 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

I remember the Lansdowne well it closed

around 1986, 1987

You will remember the Landsdowne in its final days then when they turned it into a 'Theme' pub (like many at the time)

with car parts embedded in the rebuilt walls and seating areas - who's idea was that?

Always a good pint from what I remember. 

London Rd was our stomping ground, back in our drinking daze - so many pubs - so little time.

A girl in our class at school's Dad was the Landlord at one time but can't remember her second name

and I'm sure they had moved to Dronfield to another pub before the Landsdowne closed.

Happy Daze.

yes Iremember it well.

I dont know who had the idea of making it a scrap yard

do you remember the cop box on the island at that junction?

1 hour ago, MICK BADGER said:

yes Iremember it well.

I dont know who had the idea of making it a scrap yard

do you remember the cop box on the island at that junction?

O' Yes.

my mate from worked loved doing wheelies (we never called wheelies, wheelies back then - they were always known as 'Mono's') past the Cop box and impressing the squeezes out side the Lucarno on his billy Bantam (18"T bars).

There were other pubs with the silly car part embeded walls but can't remember which (its an age thing)

Happy Daze. 

I know it's in the Indian restaurant thread but (same area) do you remember the 'U boat' and the 'Turtle' up by the Landsdowne flats?

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

yes I remember both the 'U boat' and the 'Turtle'

there was also the wall of deathin front of the middle block of flats

as I used to hang out there with a few mates

at the bottom of Club Garden road

Danny Staniforth, bob (Jack)Frost, Phil Elliot

Edited by MICK BADGER

3 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

yes I remember both the 'U boat' and the 'Turtle'

there was also the wall of deathin front of the middle block of flats

as I used to hang out there with a few mates

at the bottom of Club Garden road

Danny Staniforth, bob (Jack)Frost, Phil Elliot

I've a photo of the Turtle somewhere when it used to have water in it, our kids loved it. Can't believe how such a nice feature was left to ruin before disappearing altogether & Imagine the up roar of a Concrete U Boat in a kids playground  now !

I noticed the t'other week how the 'wall of death' (didn't those concete bollards hurt when you ran into them) infront of the middle block of flats isn't there any more but the longer one next to where the Turtle was, is still there. Happy Daze (or happy graze)

I know your a little older than me and the names don't ring a bell unless the Jack frost is 'Frosti' who ran the refrigaration business on Clubgarden rd. I worked at the Disc Jockey just up from the Landsdowne public house (thought I'd better mention the Landsdown before we get told to get back on subject) Excellent area lots of memories. 

Keep safe.

On 27/09/2020 at 11:25, Rockers rule said:

You will remember the Landsdowne in its final days then when they turned it into a 'Theme' pub (like many at the time)

with car parts embedded in the rebuilt walls and seating areas - who's idea was that?

Always a good pint from what I remember. 

London Rd was our stomping ground, back in our drinking daze - so many pubs - so little time.

A girl in our class at school's Dad was the Landlord at one time but can't remember her second name

and I'm sure they had moved to Dronfield to another pub before the Landsdowne closed.

Happy Daze.

I used to work at T C Harrison, went in the Lansdowne, good pint, the landlord was irish, he took over the Green Acres at Dronfield, now a Chinese restaurant I think.

On 25/10/2020 at 14:30, gaz 786 said:

Had many a great Saturday night down London road loads of good honest boozers curry houses what more can a 20 year old ask.? Nearly 60 now how time flies 🤔

Yeah me too, on both counts, was busier than 'Eccy' Road back in the 80's, great pub crawl, China garden or Golden Tiger at Highfields, Curry Centre, Tiffany's /Locarno even the Royal Oak at the bottom of Cemetery Road behind the Lansdowne was decent, used to get a few United players perched at the bar in there.