Masons Arms Langsett Road

Hi

Does anyone know if the Masons Arms on Langsett Road is open at the moment.

I'm fancying a trip down memory lane, used to go in there a bit many moons ago, but have received conflicting info on the internet as to whether it is "functioning" at the moment X

I don't know, but last time I went in there (maybe 15-20 years ago), there were about seven people in. They all stared at me like I had two heads. There were free sandwiches. Really dry around the edges and curling up. The beer was horrible. I think the landlord might have been a gammony old racist who used to (still does?) post on here.

2 hours ago, glenys said:

Hi

Does anyone know if the Masons Arms on Langsett Road is open at the moment.

I'm fancying a trip down memory lane, used to go in there a bit many moons ago, but have received conflicting info on the internet as to whether it is "functioning" at the moment X

We moved from very close to there 2 months ago, and the Masons was still open and apparently doing fine at that point.  Of course it could all have gone belly up during or after Christmas, but it was open for the entirety of the 27 years that I lived there.

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

I don't know, but last time I went in there (maybe 15-20 years ago), there were about seven people in. They all stared at me like I had two heads. There were free sandwiches. Really dry around the edges and curling up. The beer was horrible. I think the landlord might have been a gammony old racist who used to (still does?) post on here.

We never experienced that sort of reception.  There was a whole selection of nice people in there, many of whom bought Molly some scratchings when she mysteriously ended up in there when she was meant to be being walked by a certain partner...🙄

The human can buy his own beer while he's taking a 'rest', but we'll buy the dog a treat :)

8 hours ago, Halibut said:

Two heads, two hats?

8 hours ago, Halibut said:

I had more or less the same experience in my two visits there, which were over the space of 14 years when I lived nearby. The first visit was when I was visiting all the pubs within half a mile. Many of them weren't very good at that time and are now shut. Some weren't very good but are still going. The Masons is one of these. It never seems to have many punters but it stays open. Sometimes it has blokes stood on the doorstep smoking fags - never a good sign. 

My second and final visit was when I was waiting at Bamforth St tramstop and the next tram was 20 minutes or something. I nipped in there for half a gassy Stones or whatever and sat in the little front room. Not really worth it to be honest!

On a history note I always wondered if the Masons reference was to do with the building of the barracks as there must have been loads of stone workers round there then. There's a Freemasons at Hillsbro corner and there used to be another Mason's Arms at the bottom of Capel St.

Edited by Bilge

Ive just had a look at the Star "Whats on" and its flagged up a karaoke there tonight, as it happens.

in 2007 we booked it for our wedding evening reception and a couple of days before that it closed down because of an electrical fault.  Before that we were in and out of it on a regular basis.  

Since then I have passed and it sometimes looks open and sometimes not.

On further investigation, the Karaoke advert suggests it IS still "functioning", lol.

Thanks for the input, guys XX

Update - hubby has just informed me that it wasnt the masons that we had booked for our reception, lol !! Think I am living in a different dimension , so excuse that incorrect fact XX

According to Google maps / Google My Business    it has now permanently closed. 

It's advertised as for sale on here

https://www.punchtaverns.com/pub/masons-arms-sheffield-s6-2ue-uk/

Be a shame if it doesn't reopen as a pub. Called in there before the match a few times this season for a game of snooker and a couple  of pints. 

'Punch Taverns' - Oh dear. It's going the same way as the Burgoyne along the street.

Update here,  it looked open on Saturday when I went past on the tram. Perhaps it is for sale but staying open under current management until a new owner is found.

The masons is open every day from 12pm, until 12am mon to thursday and until 1am Saturday and Sunday. Its been refurbished and looks lovely and cosy. Its also under new management.