Fake Paypal text/email scams

Have just received a text message informing me that an attempt has been made to access my PayPal account. It also asks me to click on a link to contact PayPal. I don't have a PayPal account and never have had. Has anyone else had this message ???    The number it came in on was +44 7394 485321.  I've Googled the number and nothing has shown up.

I do use PayPal and get them all the time. 

If any of them are even remotely convincing I checkmy PayPal account independently and NEVER click the links.

If you dont have a PayPal account Id just ignore them, its just another phishing attempt.

Edited by nikki-red

I don’t have a PayPal account and over the past few years I’ve had a few emails saying the same thing.  So I just delete the email straight away.  

Also something very similar happened with Halifax, I do have an account with them,  asking for my bank details.  I did exactly the same thing and deleted the email, then informed Halifax who told me it was a scam, and what to do if it happened again. 

The phone number is a mobile. So obviously a fake.

As others have said, don't click any links in mails like that.

Thanks for your your help. I have deleted the text. I still work the 'old fashioned way'. I don't like telephone banking and only buy online from a small number of retailers. Its an 'age' thing. The older you get the more unsure you are about things.

20 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I do use PayPal and get them all the time. 

If any of them are even remotely convincing I checkmy PayPal account independently and NEVER click the links.

If you dont have a PayPal account Id just ignore them, its just another phishing attempt.

PayPal advise you to forward them to spoof@paypal.com and then delete them. 

26 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

PayPal advise you to forward them to spoof@paypal.com and then delete them. 

Thank you for the information, I will make a note of that.

Halifax told me to do something similar.  

8 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Thank you for the information, I will make a note of that.

Halifax told me to do something similar.  

I've done it four or five times. I've had an acknowledgement most times.

On 2 February 2019 at 20:23, EUCLID11 said:

Have just received a text message informing me that an attempt has been made to access my PayPal account. It also asks me to click on a link to contact PayPal. I don't have a PayPal account and never have had. Has anyone else had this message ???    The number it came in on was +44 7394 485321.  I've Googled the number and nothing has shown up.

What's the problem? no account so just delete the message that's what I do.

WELL  I FOR ONE AM THANKFUL FOR THE HEADS UP 👍🏻  AS A RULE , UNLESS I KNOW ITS LEGIT I DONT CLICK ON ANY LINKS  ⚠️  BUT ITS GOOD TO BE IN THE KNOW  & I CAN FOREWARN OTHERS , SO  THANK - YOU  :thumbsup: ... 

If the Mods feel this is worthy of a sticky it may be helpful.

I`ve been in touch with the fraud department of Paypal  today. They provided the email address that is used  for (forwarding) reporting fake paypal emails. I asked Paypal if it was ok to share this specific address on forums to help others,  and they were very keen for me to do so as apparently few people bother to report .  Paypal open them up and thoroughly look in to these addresses establishing the origin etc.

If you receive an  email that claims to be from Paypal but seems suspicious in some way simply forward it to the address below. No need for any covering note or details-The fakes contain all the info that is required.

Review@paypal.com