Dickensian diseases on the rise

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

So austerity is to blame for people not taking up vaccinations, that midvivesand nurses explain over and over?

And for people scoffing too much meat and beer?

I get it now, thanks.

good, i'm pleased you agree with us

I’ve a vague recollection of an article pointing to the rise in hitherto beaten diseases is down to immigrants coming in with no vaccinations and/or no cultural pushto get them.

Again, if memory serves it was written when TB numbers were spiking. I’ll have a google.

14 hours ago, medusa said:

Actually, the biggest risk factor for gout is genetic risk.  It doesn't help by overeating, but that in itself doesn't make someone concentrate uric acid in their blood, just like both of the people I know who have kidney stones are young, slim and vegetarian, yet kidney stones are also linked to overeating and drinking.

I agree entirely though- if you've ever actually seen a baby with whooping cough, or a child with brain damage from measles, you have no doubt that vaccinating is the way to prevent the horrors from them.

Some medication can cause gout. I know someone this happened to (not me). GP changed their medication which caused gout, changed it again and it never came back. 

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve a vague recollection of an article pointing to the rise in hitherto beaten diseases is down to immigrants coming in with no vaccinations and/or no cultural pushto get them.

Again, if memory serves it was written when TB numbers were spiking. I’ll have a google.

I had  TB in 2015 and was told this,  I still have no idea how I caught it, I'd had the BCG jab at school along with everyone else.

21 hours ago, andyofborg said:

avoiding vaccines is easier these days and this is why these diseases are starting to spike. 

the question is why people want to avoid them? 

Because someone they once met in the street had a friend who knew a friend whose cousin once met someone whos relative had a baby that had a vaccine and when it farted it smelled

Simples :)

21 hours ago, woodview said:

Aka eating too much meat and beer.

How is it linked to Thatcher and mogg?

The OP twists unlinked topics.

When we had kids during this period, you'd have to try very hard to avoid the vaccines.

As medusa pointed out gout is fundamentally a metabolic disease. Diet can be a trigger for attacks but the underlying cause is basically genetic. If you have it then too much of the wrong food and drinks can be a factor, sometimes.

18 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Some medication can cause gout. I know someone this happened to (not me). GP changed their medication which caused gout, changed it again and it never came back. 

I know a bloke who is vegan and can do a 5k run in 17 minutes.

He is regularly laid low with gout. As are all of his brothers. 

Genetics

1 minute ago, I1L2T3 said:

As medusa pointed out gout is fundamentally a metabolic disease. Diet can be a trigger for attacks but the underlying cause is basically genetic. If you have it then too much of the wrong food and drinks can be a factor, sometimes.

How do those facts relate to the OP suggesting it is induced by some political policy?

My point was I can't see how gout or whooping cough are. Unless someone can explain otherwise?

21 hours ago, woodview said:

So austerity is to blame for people not taking up vaccinations, that midvivesand nurses explain over and over?

And for people scoffing too much meat and beer?

I get it now, thanks.

Austerity can be linked to malnutrition quite easily can't it...

And "fake news" in general is related to the anti-vax movement.

31 minutes ago, woodview said:

How do those facts relate to the OP suggesting it is induced by some political policy?

My point was I can't see how gout or whooping cough are. Unless someone can explain otherwise?

Did you somehow read

"All we now is the return of scurvy, typhoid and dysentery, then Jacob Rees Mogg will feel right at home.

Maggi Thatcher once lovingly spoke of a return to 'Victorian values', pity we have been bequeathed its diseases :roll:"

And you understood this to be an attempt to directly blame government policy for the increase in disease?

Read it again if so, and look at what it actually says.

40 minutes ago, woodview said:

Like I said diet is sometimes a factor that can make the underlying disease worse. It depends what foods and drinks make gout worse for an individual.

For some it’s too much sugar for example. Our government has a terrible record for tackling the fast food industry. May completely caved into the industry not long after becoming PM. That’s not going to help.

There are countless examples of government policy favouring big business over the needs of the population.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

And you understood this to be an attempt to directly blame government policy for the increase in disease?

Read it again if so, and look at what it actually says.

Yes. Why mention those particular people if not?

If there's an anti Vaccination warning or anti obesity message, the OP could have written that. They choose to mention strident right wingers.

7 minutes ago, woodview said:

Yes. Why mention those particular people if not?

If there's an anti Vaccination warning or anti obesity message, the OP could have written that. They choose to mention strident right wingers.

Search for  “The honourable member for the 18th century!”

They chose to mention two politicians one who specifically mentioned a "return to victorian values" and the other who presents himself like we're still living in those times.  But he didn't say what you've been claiming he said, and you asking "why mention them" doesn't justify the leap of illogic that you made.