'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Yet, I'm a motorist with experience of it, who chooses not to, along with tens of thousands of others.

Tens of thousands of people knock work every day because it's too hard to drive into the city centre and park?

On 01/02/2019 at 21:18, jamichi1 said:

I have been having for long the same idea. However, the question is, who will fund such a place - because it will need a lot of money to be run properly.

not really, hundreds of squats have been run properly with not much money, Matilda st centre in sheff has been a community run squat for years, same with Bradford 1 in 12, was running for decades, still is i think

On 02/02/2019 at 10:39, makapaka said:

Some people call it Cole brothers in sheffield.

its not because they dont know it’s John Lewis its because it took over what was a

flagship Sheffield store.

there are other examples around the country where locals haven’t adopted the John Lewis name readily.

get over yourselves.

Correct.  And I for one will call it Cole Bros and hope my children will because local heritage should be celebrated. Too much of it is being lost. 

6 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Correct.  And I for one will call it Cole Bros and hope my children will because local heritage should be celebrated. Too much of it is being lost. 

indeed it will always be Cole Bros to me too, mi Auntie worked there for decades

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

It’s a doddle to get in, park, and get out of Sheffield.

never had a problem.

what problems do you encounter?

Crawling traffic, finding a carpark with spaces that's not a fortune.

54 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Tens of thousands of people knock work every day because it's too hard to drive into the city centre and park?

I'm on about for shopping, where they have a choice of going or not.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

In the city centre the Council has around 1500 on-street spaces and about half that in off-street car parks. To put that in context there are about 8500 parking spaces in the city centre provided by private car park operators.

Outside the city centre there are around 2500 on-street spaces in controlled parking zones.

That is interesting. Meadowhall has 12,000 . I would have guessed a bigger difference. I suppose city centre distribution of parking is harder to judge and know where has spaces.

42 minutes ago, woodview said:

Crawling traffic,

Free parking might fix *something* I suppose, crawling traffic it would not.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Crawling traffic, finding a carpark with spaces that's not a fortune.

Outside rush hour I've always found getting into the centre and finding inexpensive parking a relative doddle from Walkley - even the "dreaded" Brook Hill roundabout is a breeze.

Where are you trying to get in from (or not)?

I was very saddened to read that Sinclair's were planning to move to Ecclesall Road.  I can't blame them though, when they explain why.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/new-chapter-for-sheffield-department-store-as-it-prepares-to-move-after-50-years-at-same-site-1-9575492

I do think though, that people are being a little harsh on our council.  I believe the problem lies more with central government policies.   

13 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, and you yet again make the claim that it is EASILY mitigated. It is not and I have explained why in detail. You've provided no counter argument to support this incorrect assertion. 

Perhaps we have different definitions for what the word easy means.

The concept is simple, trivial and easy.

I'm not particularly interested in the minutiae of road traffic orders required since it's all entirely hypothetical.

16 hours ago, dutch said:

So the tiny little change someone pays for parking is going to be spent in shops and save them?  

I just see some people who cannot even afford parking, are they going to get these empty shops back to life?

No, you're entirely missing the point.  It's not about being able to spend the £2.50 or whatever.  It's about spending all the rest of the money that you instead take to meadowhall because people don't like paying to park.

11 hours ago, woodview said:

It is a nightmare to drive and park in Sheffield. I drive in for United matches, but wouldn't do so for shopping.

When I have been in, it's been ok, but nothing like as good as dirty Leeds. They are miles ahead, I hate to admit.

Parking for shoppers doesn't need to be free. If it was a simple drive, decent car park, and a reasonable walk, people would be more attracted to it.

Driving around Sheffield is trivial compared to Leeds.  Miss a single junction in Leeds and you might have to go for another 15 minutes just to get onto the motorway to escape the damn place.

7 hours ago, ads36 said:

Free parking might fix *something* I suppose, crawling traffic it would not.

There's only crawling traffic at rush hour, and into the city only in the morning.

I cycle mostly, but we happened to have a 1830 appointment last week that needed the car, driving from Wadsley to West Street was easy.  On Street parking was easy, plentiful, and cost £1.

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

Outside rush hour I've always found getting into the centre and finding inexpensive parking a relative doddle from Walkley - even the "dreaded" Brook Hill roundabout is a breeze.

Where are you trying to get in from (or not)?

Indeed.  I drive this way more often, going to climbing.  1900, twice a week.  Rarely any traffic approaching the roundabout, or indeed anywhere.

And on a Wed skirt the city centre at 1610 to head towards the motorway.  No congestion to speak of until sometimes at Catcliffe.

6 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I was very saddened to read that Sinclair's were planning to move to Ecclesall Road.  I can't blame them though, when they explain why.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/new-chapter-for-sheffield-department-store-as-it-prepares-to-move-after-50-years-at-same-site-1-9575492

I do think though, that people are being a little harsh on our council.  I believe the problem lies more with central government policies.   

No parking stated as a reason?

There's a surface car park on Division St, and two nearby Q parks, as well as loads of on street parking.

12 hours ago, woodview said:

It is a nightmare to drive and park in Sheffield. I drive in for United matches, but wouldn't do so for shopping.

When I have been in, it's been ok, but nothing like as good as dirty Leeds. They are miles ahead, I hate to admit.

Parking for shoppers doesn't need to be free. If it was a simple drive, decent car park, and a reasonable walk, people would be more attracted to it.

Which direction are you coming from?

I really struggle to see the difficulty in parking in town. There are thousands of easily accessible spaces.