'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

It wasn't my suggestion at all, so no, I'm not suggesting it.

I was responding specifically to the concern that any free parking would be used by commuters, it's an easily addressed concern.

8 hours ago, northernboy said:

Do you think the Sheffield BID group could, with the council and PTE, subside a “City Clipper” type route again? Doesn’t have to be free, but maybe a flat rate low charge.

They could, but again their budget is limited and something they are currently doing would have to stop.

Their recent efforts in the city centre have been about boosting the evening economy. 

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

It wasn't my suggestion at all, so no, I'm not suggesting it.

I was responding specifically to the concern that any free parking would be used by commuters, it's an easily addressed concern.

You presumably mean by the use of time limited waiting.

If so you are overlooking some important points.

There’s a significant cost involved in changing all the traffic regulation orders and signing which make the restrictions enforceable.

Time limited waiting is also more resource intensive to enforce than pay and display. It would therefore need more staff than the current arrangement, which is a significant cost.

There’s also the matter of the very significant shortfall in the Council’s budget which it would cause, due to them receiving no pay and display income. Parking Services cost circa £4 million per annum. Costs are currently covered and a healthy surplus is returned, which goes towards highway maintenance costs. A very large chunk of that income would disappear, meaning other budgets would need to be cut to cover it.

So, not a simple measure at all and it wouldn’t be cheap.

Also,  you’ll note that the vast majority of Council parking in the city centre is not currently time limited. That is because people thought the time limits were only there to catch them out so they got a penalty. The time limits were therefore removed.  So, new time limits would probably not be popular either.

Edited by Planner1

I'm not overlooking anything, it's a solution to the problem suggested that free parking would result in all the spaces being used by commuters.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I'm not overlooking anything, it's a solution to the problem suggested that free parking would result in all the spaces being used by commuters.

There is no free parking in city centre. Only in your dreams. Or park at old castle market N side of wilko. It's a fifteen minute walk from the moor.

Edited by dutch

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Free parking after 10 am 

11 hours ago, dutch said:

There is no free parking in city centre. Only in your dreams. Or park at old castle market N side of wilko. It's a fifteen minute walk from the moor.

For crying out loud.  Are you all incapable of following a simple chain of comment/response?

I didn't suggest free parking.  It was suggested pages back.  Someone then raised an objection "oh, but the commuters will take it all" and I ONLY responded to that objection pointing out an easy way to mitigate it.

On 03/02/2019 at 00:43, WalkleyIan said:

Been in Manchester for two days. I visit often but this time I have to say it wasn't exactly bustling .  Oxford road dead last night. Went to a nice food hall up in the northern quarter this morning,  very similar to the one we have at Neepsend but pretty quiet.  The big thing they have is their tram extension, it actually goes places you want it to  Stayed out at Salford Quays for 26 quid a night and trammed in.

Back here at 3 pm, the centre of Sheffield, even Fargate was busier than Manchester. Maybe a bit cold for them over the other side.  Possibly the students away for the semester change over?

As for Leeds, you've got to admit its pretty grim coming out of their station. Gone are the days when we would go up there for shopping. These days its just a drive in for gigs and get back out again. Not worth staying over.

Now if all these cities had a half decent rail link between them that ran past midnight they'd all benefit  from a bit of extra trade 

Wow!  You really do have a Sheffield bias don't you?  "Fargate busier than Manchester"  "Leeds - gone are the days when we went there for shopping - not worth staying over"

I don't know what kind of shopping you like mate, but if Manchester and Leeds haven't got it for you, then it must be a very eclectic taste you have.  Both those cities are fantastic for shopping and restaurants.   Have you seen the new shopping centre in Leeds?  Maybe that's just not your thing.  Maybe you'd rather browse in the kind of shops we have on division street where you can look at second hand clothes and records? 

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

I ONLY responded to that objection pointing out an easy way to mitigate it.

At the risk of being pedantic, you only pointed out a way of mitigating it, which I reminded you wasn't easy or cheap.

I remember parking from my childhood, my parents giving me some change and I put it in the timer and turn the handle and the dial moved and started ticking.

One week after I got my driver license got a parking ticket.

Free parking is some fantasy  that is not going to happen.

Shops will depend on normal people who pay or take a taxi or other transport.

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

At the risk of being pedantic, you only pointed out a way of mitigating it, which I reminded you wasn't easy or cheap.

Yes, 1 way of mitigating it.  I didn't overlook anything though, I was exploring the mitigation in detail, simply pointing out that the 'problem' was easily mitigated.

14 minutes ago, dutch said:

I remember parking from my childhood, my parents giving me some change and I put it in the timer and turn the handle and the dial moved and started ticking.

One week after I got my driver license got a parking ticket.

Free parking is some fantasy  that is not going to happen.

Shops will depend on normal people who pay or take a taxi or other transport.

Clearly shops depending on such people are failing.  Hence why the city centre has a declining number of shops in it.

Ultimately the numbers of people parking will fall as there won't be any reason left to go into the city centre (well, not for shopping anyway).

So the tiny little change someone pays for parking is going to be spent in shops and save them?  

I just see some people who cannot even afford parking, are they going to get these empty shops back to life?