'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

If you are too high a class to take a bus or tram.

Call a taxi, you don't need to worry about parking and can have a few drinks as well, support local business instead of parking department.

Or cycle.

Edited by dutch

14 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I tried suggesting on here that parking in the city centre is not easy and quite expensive, and that this is a factor as to why the city centre is in decline.  I was told by others on here that I'm wrong about that, so it's interesting that an independent report in the Guardian comes to a similar conclusion.  I suppose the Guardian columnist is wrong as well.  And those statistics are just made up.  Or maybe not?

I can come up with all the fancy arguments I want to about why town center shopping is better than a trip to Murderhell. And to be honest I really do prefer town center shopping to out of town shopping centers and retail parks. But all those fancy arguments I could deploy on this subject can be easily rebutted with two words. 

Free Parking. 

4 hours ago, Stoatwobbler said:

I can come up with all the fancy arguments I want to about why town center shopping is better than a trip to Murderhell. And to be honest I really do prefer town center shopping to out of town shopping centers and retail parks. But all those fancy arguments I could deploy on this subject can be easily rebutted with two words. 

Free Parking. 

If the parking was made free then every single person with a car that works or studies in or near the town centre would drive in. 

The parking spaces would all be gone before the shops even opened!

Edited by nikki-red

Leeds has almost no free parking in the centre and it's centre is replete with shops.

Perhaps there are reasons other than the cost of parking which, if addressed, might actually achieve something useful

46 minutes ago, Stoatwobbler said:

Free Parking. 

At the risk of repeating myself, if free parking, as opposed to a few pounds, is what it would take to encourage you to have a night out or do your shopping then your budget must be really tight.

Guest makapaka
16 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I would have thought it was obvious.  

The business of the John Lewis Partnership is alive and well.   Very much unlike "Cole Brothers" which was nothing more than a branch trading name from the 1940s onwards and disappeared altogether way back in early 2000s.

As I said earlier, the fact that coming up 20 years later we have people still insisting on using that name for the store is just rediculous.   A prime example of the stubborn "dont like change" mentality which thwarts development and regeneration round here.

Can you  explain how referring to this shop as Cole brothers is thwarting development and regeneration?

have you been into town recently by the way - I don’t think I’ve ever seen as much regeneration and development going on at the same time - you only have to look across the city at night and see all the tower cranes.

Free parking would attract many lower class people who drive to the city centre.

39 minutes ago, dutch said:

Free parking would attract many lower class people who drive to the city centre.

I dont need to drive and park and even pay for parking when I can get everything I need on my doorstep plus free and easy parking is an added bonus.  Town is five miles away,  its a dump full of scruffy begging chavs.  Who needs all that crap. :roll:

3 hours ago, dutch said:

What is your definition of this species .

4 hours ago, dutch said:

What a bizarre thing to say.

4 hours ago, max said:

At the risk of repeating myself, if free parking, as opposed to a few pounds, is what it would take to encourage you to have a night out or do your shopping then your budget must be really tight.

It's not really about budget at all is it.  It's a perception thing.  I'd rather go somewhere with free parking than not, no matter how much money I have to throw around.

5 hours ago, nikki-red said:

If the parking was made free then every single person with a car that works or studies in or near the town centre would drive in. 

The parking spaces would all be gone before the shops even opened!

Free doesn't have to mean for an unlimited duration does it.

Make it free for the first two hours. 

6 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where are the theatre, museums, open spaces and art galleries in Meadowhall and Crystal Peaks? 

There's more to a city centre than car parking and shops.

The empty units were shops though, and shops attract more footfall than open spaces and museums...

15 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Free doesn't have to mean for an unlimited duration does it.

Make it free for the first two hours. 

A lot of city centre parking is provided by private companies - NCP, Q Parks etc.

You're not seriously suggesting they provide free parking are you?