Jump to content

'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Longcol said:

City centres aren't just about shopping.

 

Ever met up with your mates for a night out in Meadowhall............................................

Exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rayggb said:

Them very odd stones outside the monstrosity at the junction of pinstone st and furnival gate(top of moor) now there is a joke!

It's very representative of the area, Sheffield is a stoney city now. They be cheaper than the water features that need constant water running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2019 at 09:47, kaytie said:

COLE BROTHERS!!!!!    Crikey you don't come into the centre very often.   It's been John Lewis for decades.

I still call it Cole brothers even thought I know it has changed names. If you have called a store something for decades its hard to remember to use its 'new' name, especially if elderly relatives still use the old name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people get fooled into thinking 'Coles Corner'....Is situated at 'Coles' tho.:hihi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I still call it Cole brothers even thought I know it has changed names. If you have called a store something for decades its hard to remember to use its 'new' name, especially if elderly relatives still use the old name. 

It is not really that hard. You just need to wake up and these old habits will drop. The habitual behaviour of elderly could be used as a reminder to not be sleepwalking in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2019 at 09:47, kaytie said:

COLE BROTHERS!!!!!    Crikey you don't come into the centre very often.   It's been John Lewis for decades.

Nay nay, It has to be Walsh,s,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dutch said:

It is not really that hard. You just need to wake up and these old habits will drop. The habitual behaviour of elderly could be used as a reminder to not be sleepwalking in life.

Wake up? A bit rude aren't you? You mean when I'm walking around in Sheffield? I have been shopping three times in the last thirteen years in that part of Sheffield so I don't see the shop name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

Wake up? A bit rude aren't you? You mean when I'm walking around in Sheffield? I have been shopping three times in the last thirteen years in that part of Sheffield so I don't see the shop name. 

You did say you knew name had changed but still called it Coles.

That's fine it's just a name, you can live in the past or the moment. 

I never met Thatcher but know she ain't prime minister no more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Wake up? A bit rude aren't you? You mean when I'm walking around in Sheffield? I have been shopping three times in the last thirteen years in that part of Sheffield so I don't see the shop name. 

It's been changed for 2 decades or longer though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 00:01, Longcol said:

City centres aren't just about shopping.

 

Ever met up with your mates for a night out in Meadowhall............................................

Depends on what the night out involves.  Back in the day I recall meeting at Meadowhall for food, the cinema and then down to Pulse and Vogue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 00:01, Longcol said:

City centres aren't just about shopping.

 

Ever met up with your mates for a night out in Meadowhall............................................

Erm no, not since I left my teens. I can think of much nicer and more convenient places to go. I have met up for lunch at Meadowhall but not evenings. 

 

I used to go into Sheffield more for concerts or evenings out before the roads were changed and it was easier and more convenient to park. That was over twenty years ago. I go to the odd shop or two or coffee shops but then go back home not stay and mooch around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.