'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

19 minutes ago, woodview said:

No, I park close to the Moor. But seeing as my opinion, doesn't match yours, I'm obviously wrong. It is my experience. You can say whatever you want, it is still my experience. Should I discount the experiences I've had of parking over the years and plump for 'your' facts instead?

This is the problem I find in the way you state things.  You don't say "I find it difficult to find parking space" - You say instead "There is very little parking space".

One of those statements is provably incorrect.   There is lots of parking space.  Now, if you can't find it, well, I can't argue with that.

BUT the reason you don't say that is that it becomes your responsibility and your failure.  Instead you make an untrue statement that shifts the blame off yourself.  And when someone says you're wrong you tell them that it's an opinion as if that changes reality.

If you want to discuss your inability to find parking space, then I'm sure lots of people will make suggestions about how you can do it better.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

This is the problem I find in the way you state things.  You don't say "I find it difficult to find parking space" - You say instead "There is very little parking space".

One of those statements is provably incorrect.   There is lots of parking space.  Now, if you can't find it, well, I can't argue with that.

BUT the reason you don't say that is that it becomes your responsibility and your failure.  Instead you make an untrue statement that shifts the blame off yourself.  And when someone says you're wrong you tell them that it's an opinion as if that changes reality.

If you want to discuss your inability to find parking space, then I'm sure lots of people will make suggestions about how you can do it better.

A massive incorrect leap of logic. I spend my life fixing problems at work, that other people are stuck with. That's my job. I make things happen that people have given up on. That is how I make a living. So your assumption is completely wrong, and crafted to suit yourself . Plus I  just re-read my posts and I say 'I find it awkward ' and 'finding spots that aren't a firtune' , so maybe ease of the the trolling.

If I find parking in Sheffield difficult, then others will. Others will also not bother. In your opinion, we are all wrong. The shops are still shutting.

So, I know you struggle with people not seeing things your way, but the fact remains Sheffield centre shopping is declining faster than other cities. You can sit snuggly think you are right. Little solice to the shopkeepers.

Edited by woodview

Sometimes car parks are full? Crystal peaks - out of town shopping centre to the stars - has lots of parking (No idea of the ratio of shoppers/spaces compared with The city centre) but sometimes it's a pain in the arse to park, as we all go round and round before you find a likely looking person(s) who are going. "Are you going?" we mime? "Yes we are going" they mime back only for some arsehole to drive round the wrong way and Nick it. 

Or I can order it online. 

1 hour ago, DnAuK said:

Darn straight. The Lace market NCP in Nottingham charges £17 for 3-5 hours .£30 for 24. Now THAT is expensive.

Lace Market Car Park

Up to 2 hours - 4.20

Up to 4 hours - 6.50

Up to 6 hours -10.00

Up to 8 hours - 13.00

Up to 24 hours -15.00

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/transport-parking-and-streets/parking-and-permits/city-centre-parking/car-parks/lace-market/

Because I mentioned I personaly  dont bother with town because if I need to food shop or clothes shop or need  DIY goods  its all on my doorstep ,  ie Crystal Peaks ,Asda, Aldi ect.  I park right outside the places mentioned and for free.  So certain people on here stop throwing your dummies out of the pram when others and me say we dont need to go into the city centre.  :roll:

15 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Because I mentioned I personaly  dont bother with town because if I need to food shop or clothes shop or need  DIY goods  its all on my doorstep ,  ie Crystal Peaks ,Asda, Aldi ect.  I park right outside the places mentioned and for free.  So certain people on here stop throwing your dummies out of the pram when others and me say we dont need to go into the city centre.  :roll:

It doesn't match what they think, so it must be wrong, or you've got a hidden agenda.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

A massive incorrect leap of logic. I spend my life fixing problems at work, that other people are stuck with. That's my job. I make things happen that people have given up on. That is how I make a living. So your assumption is completely wrong, and crafted to suit yourself . Plus I  just re-read my posts and I say 'I find it awkward ' and 'finding spots that aren't a firtune' , so maybe ease of the the trolling.

If I find parking in Sheffield difficult, then others will. Others will also not bother. In your opinion, we are all wrong. The shops are still shutting.

So, I know you struggle with people not seeing things your way, but the fact remains Sheffield centre shopping is declining faster than other cities. You can sit snuggly think you are right. Little solice to the shopkeepers.

It's not a leap of anything.

You make statements as if they're fact which are demonstrably incorrect.  You then try to justify them as being opinion.

24 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Nobody cares or objects in any way that you don't need to go into the city centre.

I can't imagine that most people go to the city centre for grocery or DIY shopping to be honest.

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

It doesn't match what they think, so it must be wrong, or you've got a hidden agenda.

It doesn't match the reality of how much parking is available.  You're not still claiming that it isn't are you?

5 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's not a leap of anything.

You make statements as if they're fact which are demonstrably incorrect.  You then try to justify them as being opinion.

My post said 'I find it awkward '. That is an opinion and my experience, and is written as such.

My other experience is that you troll all my comments and you cannot abide anyone holding different opinions to yours.

I find it awkward and have easier alternatives. That is a fact. If you don't like it tough.

On 06/02/2019 at 09:58, woodview said:

From north Sheffield. I find it awkward and others I know do. Depending on route, I have to drive past or near Meadowhall, so often easier to go there instead.

I hate the idea of Meadowhall slowing down the centre and want a vibrant Sheffield. But it ain't easy to park. Last time I went, 20 minute journey to near centre, then 20 mins later till parked and out of car.

I have no agenda to make up a problem, quite the opposite. Imo it is ONE reason for the decline. Meadowhall is another reason, and the very slow / late development of the centre is another. Decline can be a vicious cycle 

Right, you then said that you come in down Penistone Road (as one route).

So from Penistone Road to the city centre there are the following places to park (and this is just from my memory, although I will use maps to check the road names).

Solly Street NCP, accessible in approx 3 turns from PR or Shalesmoor.

Workhouse Lane surface parking, just off shalesmoor.

Hartshead Square NCP (behind Argos), a few turns off Shalesmoor.

Campo Lane NCP, a few turns off Broad Lane.

Arundel Gate NCP, exit from Park Square roundabout, no more turns required.

This is ignoring all the streetside parking that is available a few turns away from Shalesmoor or Netherthorpe Road.

So how is it that you find it so difficult to park?  Given the large number of easily accessible car parks it would seem to be actually very easy.

Edited by Cyclone

21 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Right, you then said that you come in down Penistone Road (as one route).

So from Penistone Road to the city centre there are the following places to park (and this is just from my memory, although I will use maps to check the road names).

Solly Street NCP, accessible in approx 3 turns from PR or Shalesmoor.

Workhouse Lane surface parking, just off shalesmoor.

Hartshead Square NCP (behind Argos), a few turns off Shalesmoor.

Campo Lane NCP, a few turns off Broad Lane.

Arundel Gate NCP, exit from Park Square roundabout, no more turns required.

This is ignoring all the streetside parking that is available a few turns away from Shalesmoor or Netherthorpe Road.

So how is it that you find it so difficult to park?  Given the large number of easily accessible car parks it would seem to be actually very easy.

So when you go into town, you get parked in first car park you go to straight away? 

Well, typically, yes.

I mean, if I'm being fussy and I want to park on Campo Lane then I might have to spend a few minutes looking around.

I try to avoid the NCPs because street level can be cheaper, but I've never found a Sheffield NCP to be full.

36 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Either because I'm stupid, or a liar, or got a hidden agenda obviously.

The centre will now be my shopping of choice. And everybody who reads the thread too. Thanks for all your help. The people of Sheffield and traders will be forever grateful.