'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

41 minutes ago, northernboy said:

I can only imagine the electronics store referred to is Dixons which shut years (decades) ago, unless they mean Maplins which was never on Fargate to my knowledge.

I'm >40 and I don't remember a Dixons being on Fargate, so that must be going back some.

I was kind of hoping that they'd say Maplins though.

25 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I'm >40 and I don't remember a Dixons being on Fargate, so that must be going back some.

I was kind of hoping that they'd say Maplins though.

It was at the top, unit to the right of the entrance to orchard Square. No idea what's in there now

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I'm intrigued as to what electronics retailer you mean.

Dixons probably.

2 hours ago, slh73 said:

It was at the top, unit to the right of the entrance to orchard Square. No idea what's in there now

It's a River Island now.

why the council ever got rid of the fountain and flowers i dont know and also the orchard square podium??

2 hours ago, neworderishere said:

why the council ever got rid of the fountain and flowers i dont know and also the orchard square podium??

It was always broke and full of litter.  I can't remember the last time I saw it fully lit and operating.

Then didn't people start going into it to take the money?

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

It was always broke and full of litter.  I can't remember the last time I saw it fully lit and operating.

Then didn't people start going into it to take the money?

People seem to conveniently forget..

On 05/03/2019 at 09:42, Wazzock said:

Dixons probably.

It's a River Island now.

When did the Dixons there close?  I honestly can't remember it, and I CAN remember the virgin megastore next door to it from 25 years ago!

Huh, 14 years ago according to the date on that thread about it closing down.

I have no recollection of it ever existing, weird.  Clearly wasn't somewhere I ever took an interest in.  Isn't memory a weird thing.

26 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

When did the Dixons there close?  I honestly can't remember it, and I CAN remember the virgin megastore next door to it from 25 years ago!

Huh, 14 years ago according to the date on that thread about it closing down.

I have no recollection of it ever existing, weird.  Clearly wasn't somewhere I ever took an interest in.  Isn't memory a weird thing.

It wasn't very big inside if I recall correctly, not really much of a choice of goods. They decided to move to the top of the Moor so they could have a larger shop floor to display stuff.

And even all these years later I still miss that Virgin Megastore. Must have spent a fortune in there on DVDs.

5 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

It wasn't very big inside if I recall correctly, not really much of a choice of goods. They decided to move to the top of the Moor so they could have a larger shop floor to display stuff.

And even all these years later I still miss that Virgin Megastore. Must have spent a fortune in there on DVDs.

I used to go in the Virgin Megastore loads, I even worked there one Xmas.

7 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

It wasn't massive, but it was on 2 floors. I bought a portable minidisc player/recorder from there. A few kids in my year at school did their work experience there. 

Laskys on Leopold Street closed in 1987 and were later bought by the Comet Group.