'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

have you check out the rent for some places? a small shop on union street was £380 a week in rent. how does any small business suppose to survive there 

2 hours ago, Chang said:

have you check out the rent for some places? a small shop on union street was £380 a week in rent. how does any small business suppose to survive there 

That depends on what your business is. You will need regular shoppers who know where you are. Not many random shoppers walking around union st. 

2 hours ago, Chang said:

I was talking to the proprietor of our local shop last week he is selling  of his goods at half price as he can no longer afford the  £250 per week rent so he is packing it in . The land lords are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

On 04/02/2019 at 14:40, dutch said:

So the tiny little change someone pays for parking is going to be spent in shops and save them?  

I just see some people who cannot even afford parking, are they going to get these empty shops back to life?

I won't say that it's tiny -  but I do agree that if it's free or not, won't change things much.

On 12/02/2019 at 14:19, Albert smith said:

I was talking to the proprietor of our local shop last week he is selling  of his goods at half price as he can no longer afford the  £250 per week rent so he is packing it in . The land lords are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Very much correct there - high rental costs are a key element of the demise of the High Street.

On a more positive note, it's good to see work on the old castle house (co-op) building coming on, 16,000 sq ft of food, drink and social working under the Kommune brand.

Not sure when it's opening but there are a few resources online with info.

Yorkshire food guide

Kommune FB

Exposed Magazine

On 02/02/2019 at 06:08, northernboy said:

Which electronics store has gone from Fargate?

and yes, countless eateries - countless because it’s zero?

which electronics store has gone from fargate? .. if you have to ask that you are probably too yong to have an opinion.

countless eateries.. that rather depends upon the time frame you are using.   there are places in which you could sit down at a table and have your food brought to you which are no longer on fargate .... more recently burger king also pulled out of fargate...  burger king were then and still are a very large junk food chain.  The eating area in mcdonalds on the moor was larger than the current shop.

what was and now is sheffield centre.   haymarket almost gone, not that much on the high street. commercial street was never upto much.  3 banks ..all gone. fitzallen square ..whats there now?

Sheffield center is basically from the almost bottom of the moor and decathalon to the high street end of fargate... mcdonalds and boots. you can count division street in there too but not really west street anymore, book shop art shop killis and a couple of pubs is all  and of course the job center.

Very few independents in sheffield these days the presence of which I regard as a better indication as to the health of a city's economy than the inclusion of various chain stores.   look at leeds or manchester and you can see that in comparison sheffield center is the poor relation and dying slowly.  High charges for parking and not much of it near the center means people go elsewhere and then so do the big retailers.  The independents are always being squeezed out ... revelopment is one cause, removing older and lower affordable rent properties for businesses that were enjoyed but had low turnovers .

my personal view is no secret i am convinced that it is deliberate that the independents are being forced out.. places that repaired damaged things.. forced out..  to make way for the chains which once they have forced out all the independents will in their turn be forced out by the big chains until there little or nothing left but the huge chains and mail order.   Will giant hypermarkets continue or will even they go under to grocery deliveries?

with the best will in the world... i see the future will brown as we rush headlong into corporation earth

46 minutes ago, fill said:

which electronics store has gone from fargate? .. if you have to ask that you are probably too yong to have an opinion.

countless eateries.. that rather depends upon the time frame you are using.   there are places in which you could sit down at a table and have your food brought to you which are no longer on fargate .... more recently burger king also pulled out of fargate...  burger king were then and still are a very large junk food chain.  The eating area in mcdonalds on the moor was larger than the current shop.

what was and now is sheffield centre.   haymarket almost gone, not that much on the high street. commercial street was never upto much.  3 banks ..all gone. fitzallen square ..whats there now?

Sheffield center is basically from the almost bottom of the moor and decathalon to the high street end of fargate... mcdonalds and boots. you can count division street in there too but not really west street anymore, book shop art shop killis and a couple of pubs is all  and of course the job center.

Very few independents in sheffield these days the presence of which I regard as a better indication as to the health of a city's economy than the inclusion of various chain stores.   look at leeds or manchester and you can see that in comparison sheffield center is the poor relation and dying slowly.  High charges for parking and not much of it near the center means people go elsewhere and then so do the big retailers.  The independents are always being squeezed out ... revelopment is one cause, removing older and lower affordable rent properties for businesses that were enjoyed but had low turnovers .

my personal view is no secret i am convinced that it is deliberate that the independents are being forced out.. places that repaired damaged things.. forced out..  to make way for the chains which once they have forced out all the independents will in their turn be forced out by the big chains until there little or nothing left but the huge chains and mail order.   Will giant hypermarkets continue or will even they go under to grocery deliveries?

with the best will in the world... i see the future will brown as we rush headlong into corporation earth

Too young to have an opinion? Go on then, at what age does an opinion count?

As for parking, there is masses of it in the centre. It's no more expensive than any other city centre.

2 hours ago, fill said:

High charges for parking and not much of it near the center means people go elsewhere and then so do the big retailers. 

Utter nonsense.

There are about 10,000 spaces in the city centre and they are never ever all full. There’s too much parking if anything. 

Not near the city centre? Are you serious? It’s got loads of car parks, spread across all the main areas and plenty of on-street parking too.

Parking in Sheffield is as cheap as it gets in a major city.

4 hours ago, fill said:

I'm intrigued as to what electronics retailer you mean.

Walking from Hanover Street junction to the corner of Leopold Street, I counted approx. 31 eateries/fast food takeaways/restaurants; not including pubs.

5 hours ago, fill said:

The MCDonalds on the Moor closed because of typical Sheffield City Council thinking. 

McDonalds was told the store needed to be renovated to comply with something to do with the HVAC emissions as one of the major issues (the grill/fryer extractor system) but then denied planning permission for the changes necessary, insisting on a different approach which would cost almost 20x as much (running into millions of pounds) & that McDonalds had to fund it. McDonalds decided to end their tenancy instead. 

I can only imagine the electronics store referred to is Dixons which shut years (decades) ago, unless they mean Maplins which was never on Fargate to my knowledge.