'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

Hopefully current planners are more mindful of public comments.

We need to give them something to work with.

Parking, there's loads, it's just off the ring road, and it's reasonably priced.

you say "it's part of the issue, i don't enjoy the parking situation"

what do you want them to change?

I dont understand the focus on parking, as if it's some kind of off the shelve excuse.  It's not. All cities have issues re parking, but none are as bereft of energy and dynamism in the city centre as Sheffield.

There is a simple reason people are not going to the city centre - there is next to nothing there to attract people. Every shop in the city is a pale imitation of its sister shop in Meadowhall, there is no meaningful entertainment area, the museums and galleries (such that exist) do their best but can't do enough to attract people, and the only restaurants there are the usual run of the mill chain rubbish that fail to inspire people to visit them.  If you've been to a Bills you've been to not only every Bills, but also every Pitcher & Piano and every tedious chain.  

The Moor is a disaster. We proudly get a Gap, but not just any Gap:  Sheffield doesn't deserve that.  We get a Gap outlet, full of rubbish that can't be sold anywhere else.  We move the market, but it dies on its feet.  

Seriously, I love Sheffield and am very happy living here, but the city centre is dying, has been dying for decades and will continue to die for many more, until the only people there are spice addicts and Chinese students.  I am a relatively high earner, pulling in nearly six figures a year.  I have plenty of disposable income.  But I rarely go to town anymore. Why bother?  I tend to hang out in Eccie Road, Nether Edge or Broomhill.   If I want a city vibe, I'll go to Leeds or Manchester.

This is a good example of Sheffield's malaise.  We make a song and dance about 'attracting' the video games museum to the city, as if we 'stole' it away from Nottingham. And what happens?  It is located in a cheap rubbish building in the worst part of town, there is no indicater that it is there, no window display, nothing.  How hard would it be to have a few games highlighted in the windows to tempt people in, on the three days a week it is open?  I'll be honest; it's painfully embarassing sometimes.

Edited by bendix

2 hours ago, woodview said:

Yeah, I've used all those. But I'll take your word for it that I found it stress free, thanks. Hopefully current planners are more mindful of public comments.

Why don’t you stop being deliberately obtuse and give a straightforward response?

Where did I say that you found it “stress free”?

What specifically is it you don’t like about the “parking situation”?

What exactly do you think that the planners could do better? Any planning applications for developments are open to public comment, planning policy is also consulted on and the decisions on anything significant are normally made by Councillors, not the officers.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Why don’t you stop being deliberately obtuse and give a straightforward response?

Where did I say that you found it “stress free”?

What specifically is it you don’t like about the “parking situation”?

What exactly do you think that the planners could do better? Any planning applications for developments are open to public comment, planning policy is also consulted on and the decisions on anything significant are normally made by Councillors, not the officers.

I'm not. I simply find driving into, and parking in Sheffield city centre a pain. That is just one aspect. Once there, car park to shops isn't great, no particular area with best selection of shops, and lots of rubbishy bits in-between. Since I'm not an ardent shopper, I wouldn't bother. I'd just go to Meadowhall, Parkgate, Cortonwood or Fox valley instead. I imagine other people do the same.

As you probably know, commercial life is hard, and shops and areas have to work hard to get people to spend their limited funds with them. Life is getting more internet and quick fix based. Sheffield has to offer a great experience to draw people away from the other options. At the moment it is lagging behind. I want it to flourish, and hope it can, with the help of the council to co-ordinate regeneration efforts.

14 minutes ago, woodview said:

I'm not. I simply find driving into, and parking in Sheffield city centre a pain. That is just one aspect. Once there, car park to shops isn't great, no particular area with best selection of shops, and lots of rubbishy bits in-between. Since I'm not an ardent shopper, I wouldn't bother. I'd just go to Meadowhall, Parkgate, Cortonwood or Fox valley instead. I imagine other people do the same.

As you probably know, commercial life is hard, and shops and areas have to work hard to get people to spend their limited funds with them. Life is getting more internet and quick fix based. Sheffield has to offer a great experience to draw people away from the other options. At the moment it is lagging behind. I want it to flourish, and hope it can, with the help of the council to co-ordinate regeneration efforts.

Isn't driving into and parking in any city a pain?  It's hardly THE issue why Sheffield city centre is dying; every town and city in the country faces those issues.  Few of them are so bereft of visitors, shoppers and pleasure seakers than Sheffield, though.

Just now, bendix said:

Isn't driving into and parking in any city a pain?  It's hardly THE issue why Sheffield city centre is dying; every town and city in the country faces those issues.  Few of them are so bereft of visitors, shoppers and pleasure seakers than Sheffield, though.

That's why I said 'that is just one aspect' and went on to list some others. We need to get up to standard fast, as it's hard to get it back when the big names have gone, and people have formed new habits.

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, woodview said:

That's why I said 'that is just one aspect' and went on to list some others. We need to get up to standard fast, as it's hard to get it back when the big names have gone, and people have formed new habits.

Are you accepting now that parking is not really a problem?

if is the overall offering yes there can be improvements but for a city centre with a huge out of centre shopping complex it’s not bad and lots of development ongoing to improve it - particularly around the moor shopping  wise.

Just because it's the city centre doesn't mean it's the centre of the city.

That's Meadowhall now, regardless of whether or not SCC like the fact.

If it weren't for the university students the city centre would have died years ago.

1 minute ago, Weredoomed said:

If it weren't for the university students the city centre would have died years ago.

The thousands of people who work in the city centre play a rather significant part I do believe............................

Just now, Longcol said:

The thousands of people who work in the city centre play a rather significant part I do believe............................

Yes, the city centre is such a vibrant, attractive place to go to.

Errmm...

4 minutes ago, Weredoomed said:

Yes, the city centre is such a vibrant, attractive place to go to.

City centres aren't just about shopping.

Ever met up with your mates for a night out in Meadowhall............................................

Them very odd stones outside the monstrosity at the junction of pinstone st and furnival gate(top of moor) now there is a joke!