'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

I doubt that any argument here will suddenly mean people go shopping in the centre.

There are lots of reasons people don't go, and perhaps the PERCEPTION of parking is one of them.  Along with a lack of shops, the weather, the distance between areas, the chuggers and so on.

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

Either because I'm stupid, or a liar, or got a hidden agenda obviously.

Or more likely that you dont want to pay very much for parking.  Which is completely up to you.

Parking is not the issue so why spend so much time talking about it.

All high streets are suffering due to increases in online sales, Sheffield is suffering more that most because of the pull of Meadowhall.

Guest makapaka
25 minutes ago, the fonz said:

Or more likely that you dont want to pay very much for parking.  Which is completely up to you.

All high streets are suffering due to increases in online sales, Sheffield is suffering more that most because of the pull of Meadowhall.

Finally - a voice of reason and common sense.

I don't think I've ever, ever, ever, pulled up at one of the multi-storys in town and been refused entry.

The cheese grater and atkinson car parks - even on  a saturday - always have whole floors available - certainly at roof top level.

If you don't like paying  - you might have a bit of a problem - if you pay you will have no  problem whatsoever.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Lace Market Car Park

Up to 2 hours - 4.20

Up to 4 hours - 6.50

Up to 6 hours -10.00

Up to 8 hours - 13.00

Up to 24 hours -15.00

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/transport-parking-and-streets/parking-and-permits/city-centre-parking/car-parks/lace-market/

Try this one - which is on Stoney Streey - in the Lace Market...

https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/nottingham-stoney-street/

1 hour £4.00
1 to 2 hours £8.00
2 to 3 hours £13.00
3 to 4 hours £17.00
4 to 24 hours £22.00
Earlybird

£7.50

32 minutes ago, the fonz said:

No, I don't want to pay lots. I also said, parking is just one issue, and mentioned Meadowhall, as others have done. Other cities have out of town shopping too, but not declined as fast. Sheffield centre has also suffered because it has been redeveloped too slowly imo. That becomes a viscous circle.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

I also said, parking is just one issue, and mentioned Meadowhall, as others have done. Other cities have out of town shopping too, but not declined as fast. Sheffield centre has also suffered because it has been redeveloped too slowly imo. That becomes a viscous circle.

My personal view is that other cities havent suffered as much as Sheffield from out of town shopping.  When Meadowhall opened it was the second biggest out of town shopping centre in the uk, when you combine that with the transport links the draw was massive, Shops located there rather than the city centre so the football increased at the detriment of the city centre.

19 minutes ago, woodview said:

No, I don't want to pay lots. I also said, parking is just one issue, and mentioned Meadowhall, as others have done. Other cities have out of town shopping too, but not declined as fast. Sheffield centre has also suffered because it has been redeveloped too slowly imo. That becomes a viscous circle.

Most cities that have out of town shopping also have state of the art shopping in the city centre, including high quality indoor malls.  Leeds has White Rose on the outskirts, but numerous retail malls in town too.  Manchester has Trafford Centre, but Arndale in the city.  My home town of Norwich has similar.  Newcastle.  Liverpool etc.  I'm struggling to think of a major UK city that doesn't have a quality shopping mall IN the city centre these days, except of course Sheffield.

29 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Finally - a voice of reason and common sense.

I don't think I've ever, ever, ever, pulled up at one of the multi-storys in town and been refused entry.

The cheese grater and atkinson car parks - even on  a saturday - always have whole floors available - certainly at roof top level.

If you don't like paying  - you might have a bit of a problem - if you pay you will have no  problem whatsoever.

Exactly.

I often find on these threads that people whine about having to pay a comparatively little money to park their car, they also complain that there aren't any luxury shops in Sheffield & it's full of tat.

10 minutes ago, the fonz said:

My personal view is that other cities havent suffered as much as Sheffield from out of town shopping.  When Meadowhall opened it was the second biggest out of town shopping centre in the uk, when you combine that with the transport links the draw was massive, Shops located there rather than the city centre so the football increased at the detriment of the city centre.

I thought that it was the biggest in europe when it opened.

Just now, Cyclone said:

I thought that it was the biggest in europe when it opened.

Does it really matter, that's only an issue for some hurt ego.

4 minutes ago, dutch said:

Does it really matter, that's only an issue for some hurt ego.

Doesn't matter today no, it's just something I remember.

Lack of investment/redevelopment is one reason the centre is struggling. Should I mention the Sevenstone **** up?