'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

9 hours ago, woodview said:

Either Penistone rd, Barnsley  road, or through attercliffe.

Have a look on Parkopedia if you want to find parking spaces.

8 hours ago, holymoses said:

With high business rates and parking issues, it makes sense for shops to move out. 

There aren’t any parking issues.

There’s plenty of parking. It’s easy to find and most of it is relatively cheap compared to other similar cities.

11 hours ago, Jonmatt said:

Went to Leeds yesterday and I was totally gob smacked by the work going on both in the centre and to the NE of the city.

Love Sheffield but by gosh it is falling behind Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

Lots of building work going on in Barnsley, too. 

Never mind Leeds, Sheffield will soon be behind Barnsley.

Sheffield City centre is becoming an increasingly desolate wasteland.

Edited by Car Boot

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Have a look on Parkopedia if you want to find parking spaces.

There’s plenty of parking. It’s easy to find and most of it is relatively cheap compared to other similar cities.

It isn't easy. When I drive to bramall lane it can be a nightmare, and not cheap. There aren't alternative matches. I wouldn't bother with that hassle to shop. As another poster mentioned there are out of town precincts where it is very easy. The centre has to offer the same, along with a better shopping experience. They are just opinions, as a customer, they can be called wrong. In any other scenario, I wouldn't care, but in the case of my city, I do.

Ps are you a Sheffield city planner?

Edited by woodview

Guest makapaka
12 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Sheffield City centre is becoming an increasingly desolate wasteland.

If you think there’s not a lot of construction going on in Sheffield you must be walking round with your eyes closed.

10 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Only in your increasingly bizarre dreams 😎

We used to have a poster from Donny claiming the same sort of thing 10 years or so ago.

Probably get somebody from Rovvrum saying the same if a new shop opens there.

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

We used to have a poster from Donny claiming the same sort of thing 10 years or so ago.

Exactly.

the city centre is overlooked by numerous tower cranes.

There is construction ongoing on the moor, charter row, arundel gate, west bar, shalesmoor, ecclesall road, kelham island.

there is out of town construction off the parkway.

theres loads going on in Sheffield that people seem to ignore - it’s weird.

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

Have you actually seen what Barnsley are doing in the Town centre ,A proper new Market in the proper Market area (voted the best in England) is up and running ,The new central library and civic building just across the road is nearly there as well as the other new retail outlets all within a short walk of each other ,and to top it all they still have the rag and tag .

9 hours ago, woodview said:

It isn't easy. When I drive to bramall lane it can be a nightmare, and not cheap. There aren't alternative matches. I wouldn't bother with that hassle to shop. As another poster mentioned there are out of town precincts where it is very easy. The centre has to offer the same, along with a better shopping experience. They are just opinions, as a customer, they can be called wrong. In any other scenario, I wouldn't care, but in the case of my city, I do.

Ps are you a Sheffield city planner?

You're not going shopping on Bramall Lane though are you.

Opinions about factual things can be wrong.  As you are demonstrating re: parking.

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Darn straight. The Lace market NCP in Nottingham charges £17 for 3-5 hours .£30 for 24. Now THAT is expensive.

I drive in to Sheffield for work most week days  - down Penistone Road, up Netherthorpe Road, Along Hannover Way to St Mary's Gate where you have a choice of 3 (yes 3) car parks. All of which offer concessionary parking for £5-£6 a day if you get in early enough, and cheaper on Saturdays. 

Now admittedly I travel in at 7am and back home at 4pm to avoid the worst of the rush hour, but only tens to take me 40-45 mins each way from Barnsley. So not sure how other's are having so much difficulty from that end of town.

34 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Have you actually seen what Barnsley are doing in the Town centre ,A proper new Market in the proper Market area (voted the best in England) is up and running ,The new central library and civic building just across the road is nearly there as well as the other new retail outlets all within a short walk of each other ,and to top it all they still have the rag and tag .

Yep. The £120m revamp of the town centre looks actually to be mostly on track with the new town square and indoor shopping centre linking the new Market and old Alhambra centre due to be completed by the end of next year - something SCC will be wondering how is possible!

Whether it improves the overall feel of the town one can only hope. It might just end up giveing the spice-heads something nice to look at.

43 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You're not going shopping on Bramall Lane though are you.

Opinions about factual things can be wrong.  As you are demonstrating re: parking.

No, I park close to the Moor. But seeing as my opinion, doesn't match yours, I'm obviously wrong. It is my experience. You can say whatever you want, it is still my experience. Should I discount the experiences I've had of parking over the years and plump for 'your' facts instead?

Edited by woodview

the point is, that if you find it difficult to Park in Sheffield, there really isn't much that can be done to help you.

there are car parks, they've usually got spaces in them, that you can park your car in. please forgive me for failing to see the issue?

unless some kind of valet parking service? (i'm half serious)