'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

Went to Leeds yesterday and I was totally gob smacked by the work going on both in the centre and to the NE of the city.

Love Sheffield but by gosh it is falling behind Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

2 hours ago, woodview said:

From north Sheffield. I find it awkward and others I know do. Depending on route, I have to drive past or near Meadowhall, so often easier to go there instead.

I hate the idea of Meadowhall slowing down the centre and want a vibrant Sheffield. But it ain't easy to park. Last time I went, 20 minute journey to near centre, then 20 mins later till parked and out of car.

I have no agenda to make up a problem, quite the opposite. Imo it is ONE reason for the decline. Meadowhall is another reason, and the very slow / late development of the centre is another. Decline can be a vicious cycle 

Which way were you coming into the city centre? There are large multi storey car parks, easily accessed from the inner ring road in many sectors of the city centre. 

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Which way were you coming into the city centre? There are large multi storey car parks, easily accessed from the inner ring road in many sectors of the city centre. 

Either Penistone rd, Barnsley  road, or through attercliffe.

Why isn't the city centre buzzing with activity then?

27 minutes ago, woodview said:

It is.   Thousands of people are "buzzing" about the city centre everyday.  

People, work, shop, visit, do business, do leisure, do studies and dine out there all day long all year round.

The streets are busy, the businesses are active and there are several major construction projects happening right now.  

Unless you are walking around blind or at 2am on a Sunday I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Ok, ok we are not as busy and important as Leeds or Manchester.  Who gives a toss?    We never have been and never will.  They have more population in the greater regions and more income than South Yorkshire since year dot.

To try and clutch at some desperate straw and make out that Sheffield city is some ghost town with an impossible to overcome road system is just rediculous.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Why is there such a big debate about the city centre shopping. With high business rates and parking issues, it makes sense for shops to move out. 

So why not rename the centre to the entertainment, drinking and eating quarter of the city and define Meadowhall and the Carbrook area as the shopping quarter, where there is the space and accessibility for cars and plenty of parking. This would elevate all the parking issues in town, give more room for city centre living and let the other types of businesses such as solicitors, accountants and software houses thrive in the extra space.

The city centre would have better air quality with the reduction of heavy transport and fewer cars.

Night life would increase with an increase of restaurants and bars.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

It's not because parking is hard to find...

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

People, work, shop, visit, do business, do leisure, do studies and dine out there all day long all year round.

The streets are busy, the businesses are active and there are several major construction projects happening right now.  

Unless you are walking around blind or at 2am on a Sunday I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Ok, ok we are not as busy and important as Leeds or Manchester.  Who gives a toss?    We never have been and never will.  They have more population in the greater regions and more income than South Yorkshire since year dot.

To try and clutch at some desperate straw and make out that Sheffield city is some ghost town with an impossible to overcome road system is just rediculous.  

It a dump full of beggers.  :rant:

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh, ok. Did you read the OP?

I want Sheffield to be as successful as possible. I'm not 'clutching' at anything, just pointing out my personal experience and reasons for not visiting more often.

If you think everything is hunky dory, then that's fine.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

It's not because parking is hard to find...

I said it is one of the reasons.

What do you think the reasons are?

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

It a dump full of beggers.  :rant:

It's neither a dump, nor is it full of beggars. Exaggeration and emoticons don't make a strong argument. 

Yes, it has its run down areas, no more than other cities, not that I'm offering that as an excuse. Norfolk st, Surrey st  Howard st, peace gardens , winter gardens, moor, around the university, you would be pressed to describe them as a dump. Other areas need improvement for sure, castlegate,  fitzalan square, moorfoot amongst others.

12 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

It's neither a dump, nor is it full of beggars. Exaggeration and emoticons don't make a strong argument. 

Yes, it has its run down areas, no more than other cities, not that I'm offering that as an excuse. Norfolk st, Surrey st  Howard st, peace gardens , winter gardens, moor, around the university, you would be pressed to describe them as a dump. Other areas need improvement for sure, castlegate,  fitzalan square, moorfoot amongst others.

Thats your opinion. Loads will disagree with it.:thumbsup:

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:45, woodview said:

That is interesting. Meadowhall has 12,000 . I would have guessed a bigger difference. I suppose city centre distribution of parking is harder to judge and know where has spaces.

Not just Meadowhall. Also worth noting all the out of town retail parks around Sheffield, and how many parking spaces they have. Crystal Peaks / Drakehouse, the new St James development at Meadowhead, Heeley Retail Park, Parkway Central Retail Park, Catcliffe Retail Park, Kilner Way, Fox Valley and so on. All of those compete with the town center as well, taking business away from the center. And easy parking is a big part of that. 

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Thats your opinion. Loads will disagree with it.:thumbsup:

And I'm sure loads will agree - especially people who don't find getting into the centre difficult and aren't put off by paying a couple of quid for parking.

27 minutes ago, Stoatwobbler said:

Not just Meadowhall. Also worth noting all the out of town retail parks around Sheffield, and how many parking spaces they have. Crystal Peaks / Drakehouse, the new St James development at Meadowhead, Heeley Retail Park, Parkway Central Retail Park, Catcliffe Retail Park, Kilner Way, Fox Valley and so on. All of those compete with the town center as well, taking business away from the center. And easy parking is a big part of that. 

I think you meant "free". Parking in the city centre is plentiful and easy.