'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

You need to be more religious. Chanting is very helpful.

"Oh lord give me a magic parking space, please lord just one special magic parking space"

and you find one in seconds.

Edited by dutch

7 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I was very saddened to read that Sinclair's were planning to move to Ecclesall Road.  I can't blame them though, when they explain why.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/new-chapter-for-sheffield-department-store-as-it-prepares-to-move-after-50-years-at-same-site-1-9575492

I do think though, that people are being a little harsh on our council.  I believe the problem lies more with central government policies.   

His mention of a lack of parking is bizarre given that Fitzwilliam Street car park is literally 600ft away.

His new customers on Ecclesall Road will no doubt enjoy the delights of Berkeley Precinct instead. 

8 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I was very saddened to read that Sinclair's were planning to move to Ecclesall Road.  I can't blame them though, when they explain why.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/new-chapter-for-sheffield-department-store-as-it-prepares-to-move-after-50-years-at-same-site-1-9575492

I do think though, that people are being a little harsh on our council.  I believe the problem lies more with central government policies.   

Sinclairs obviously hasn't spoken with Dave Allen who said Ecclesall Road isn't what it used to be when he closed Napoleons. Maybe it's more a case of these two businesses not moving with the times?

Great to see so many cranes up in the city centre at the moment, it's not perfect but feels like it's heading in the right direction.

His mention of a lack of parking is bizarre given that Fitzwilliam Street car park is literally 600ft away.

he's surrounded by chuffing car parks! - how many more does he need?

People have been writing the city centre off for many years, but it keeps on hanging in there and slowly but surely it's adapting to the times - plenty of independent shops (not least in the much maligned new indoor market), loads of decent pubs and restaurants as well as two major theatres and superb galleries - more and more residential developments and a much needed facelift coming in the shape on the new retail quarter.

I love the city centre - a real place to go as opposed to the sanitised consumer trap of Meadowhall and the awful retail parks.

Very sad to see another old Sheffield shop has now closed - the Wicker herbalist on Surrey St. Totally shocked and saddened. I remember it being a tiny shop at the corner of St Paul's Parade when I was a youngster. It was a great shop to call into for advice. They had their own branded vitamins and minerals which were always good quality along side old fashioned remedies that worked!! I suspect they have been beaten into submission by the online products available.😟

51 minutes ago, Detetcive said:

People have been writing the city centre off for many years, but it keeps on hanging in there and slowly but surely it's adapting to the times - plenty of independent shops (not least in the much maligned new indoor market), loads of decent pubs and restaurants as well as two major theatres and superb galleries - more and more residential developments and a much needed facelift coming in the shape on the new retail quarter.

I love the city centre - a real place to go as opposed to the sanitised consumer trap of Meadowhall and the awful retail parks.

Perhaps you have chosen to ignore the multiple closed and shuttered stalls in the much maligned new moor market, A market that we  were told had a waiting list of people wanting a stall , We are paying for this white Elephant .

Maybe the layout and planning of a city / town centre needs to be re-considered.

There used to be a belief that the best location for a shop was next to Woolworths due to the volume of footfall that would be attracted.

Things have moved on including the demise of Woolworths.

Meadowhall was built with its major anchor stores, Debenhams, M&S, House of Fraser, the Oasis, all separated by 'streets' of smaller retailers. 

Nowadays due to on-line shopping even the major shops are no longer seen as major anchor stores.

Probably the best location to have a retail outlet is next to a shop that cannot have its product available on the internet. 

Planners in future should use beauticians, hipster barbers, nail bars, coffee shops, ladies hairdressers (and there maybe others) as the new anchor stores.  

8 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

Sinclairs obviously hasn't spoken with Dave Allen who said Ecclesall Road isn't what it used to be when he closed Napoleons. Maybe it's more a case of these two businesses not moving with the times?

Great to see so many cranes up in the city centre at the moment, it's not perfect but feels like it's heading in the right direction.

I'm certainly not a regular in Sinclair's but on the odd occasion I have been in, it was disorganised, dingy and appeared to be in a permanent state of closing down.

Failure to not move with the times is maybe a fair accusation.

14 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Maybe the layout and planning of a city / town centre needs to be re-considered.

There used to be a belief that the best location for a shop was next to Woolworths due to the volume of footfall that would be attracted.

Things have moved on including the demise of Woolworths.

Meadowhall was built with its major anchor stores, Debenhams, M&S, House of Fraser, the Oasis, all separated by 'streets' of smaller retailers. 

Nowadays due to on-line shopping even the major shops are no longer seen as major anchor stores.

Probably the best location to have a retail outlet is next to a shop that cannot have its product available on the internet. 

Planners in future should use beauticians, hipster barbers, nail bars, coffee shops, ladies hairdressers (and there maybe others) as the new anchor stores.  

Whilst you do have to travel to go to those stores, they tend to be quite small and so they only attract a relatively low footfall.

But mixed development, with leisure facilities, services, dining and so on are become more popular I think as a way to attract people.

On 05/02/2019 at 07:35, Bargepole23 said:

No parking stated as a reason?

There's a surface car park on Division St, and two nearby Q parks, as well as loads of on street parking.

Which direction are you coming from?

I really struggle to see the difficulty in parking in town. There are thousands of easily accessible spaces.

From north Sheffield. I find it awkward and others I know do. Depending on route, I have to drive past or near Meadowhall, so often easier to go there instead.

I hate the idea of Meadowhall slowing down the centre and want a vibrant Sheffield. But it ain't easy to park. Last time I went, 20 minute journey to near centre, then 20 mins later till parked and out of car.

I have no agenda to make up a problem, quite the opposite. Imo it is ONE reason for the decline. Meadowhall is another reason, and the very slow / late development of the centre is another. Decline can be a vicious cycle