TV licence thread

On 04/02/2019 at 17:02, bendix said:

I won't be renewing my license this year.

I stream any terrestial tv through an IPTV subscription.  But even that is a fraction of what I watch.   I'm not wasting money on it anymore.

If CB's figures are correct, then the costs of chasing down non-compliants is going to exponentially higher than the income they get from it.  Bugger that.  I'm not giving my hard-earned cash up to any organisation that calls Andrew Neill a journalist. 

If you stream live television broadcasts you are required by law to pay the BBC TV Licence fee.

7 hours ago, spilldig said:

Exactly that, seeing as the British old age pension is the lowest in the civilised world. The normal working week in this country whilst I have been working, is 40 hours. 

The government states a minumim of 8 pounds 21p per hour so therefore every pensioner should be on a minimum of 328 pounds 40p per week,  otherwise it is  less than the amount that the government states as  a minimum. Then perhaps it would enable OAPs to have a decent standard of living, and the government to stop treating them like second class citizens with gimmics like free tv livences and bus passes with strings attached, etc.   As for the disgusting BBC it should have been wound up years ago.

I agree it's all repeats anyway and too much filth for my liking

The BBC will never permit it's content to become a voluntary digital subscription as it is all too well aware that without threatening people to pay it's licence fee (with a criminal record and large fine) very few of us would wish to voluntarily contribute.

Edited by Car Boot

On 05/02/2019 at 15:25, irishill said:

how can we be rich pensionerswhen we can't afford to have the heating on full or the gas you talking through the top off your hat you will be old yourself one day so shut your gob

Nice one IRIS.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On 06/02/2019 at 10:17, spilldig said:

Exactly that, seeing as the British old age pension is the lowest in the civilised world. The normal working week in this country whilst I have been working, is 40 hours. 

I started work in 1964..12 hours a day + weekends at times...65-75 hours a week   sometimes 16 hours a day...this was because the industry i was in demanded it....for 46 years....because of the NI contributions i paid i get extra on top of my pension which  just over doubles it......As for the TV licence i really don't watch that much television..a few hours a day maybe after teatime,never during the day..BUT.....it has allowed me to see things/go places i could never dream of going or seeing....yes it is annoying when the licence fee's go up but i would rather pay it and keep seeing amazing places/things, i would otherwise never do or have done......If the programmes offend anyone..there is always the "OFF" button

Edited by euclid

21 hours ago, euclid said:

Nice one IRIS.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I started work in 1964..12 hours a day + weekends at times...65-75 hours a week   sometimes 16 hours a day...this was because the industry i was in demanded it....for 46 years....because of the NI contributions i paid i get extra on top of my pension which  just over doubles it......As for the TV licence i really don't watch that much television..a few hours a day maybe after teatime,never during the day..BUT.....it has allowed me to see things/go places i could never dream of going or seeing....yes it is annoying when the licence fee's go up but i would rather pay it and keep seeing amazing places/things, i would otherwise never do or have done......If the programmes offend anyone..there is always the "OFF" button

Yes, but if you watch television at all there is no OFF  button to stop paying the licence  fee,

On 01/02/2019 at 20:04, apelike said:

Even more of a bargain is not to watch it and not pay a license saving yourself £2.97 a week.

Thats not even the price of a pint...or a burger..what exactly are you going to do with all that money....a bag of chips and change..:hihi:

46 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Yes, but if you watch television at all there is no OFF  button to stop paying the licence  fee,

As i have already said " it has allowed me to see things/go places i could never dream of...I saw Henry Cooper flatten Cassius Clay...England win the world cup...man walk on the moon (allegedly:D)...Kennedy assassinated....been deep under the Ocean,seen Earth from space.......seen the poverty of some nations as well as the rich ones.....the world cup in Russia...Olga Korbut win  those gold medals in the olympics (1972/76)..I could go on and on......i also download radio shows off BBC-i-player and play them back on my mobile when out walking or motorcycling..this too is included in the licence fee...for a few quid a week it is a real bargain,although i don't condone the wages paid to the presenters....the one thing i wouldn't do is pay for the likes of SKY...............

Surely the EU could help fund the brexit bashing corporation, for the work it's doing?

45 minutes ago, woodview said:

Surely the EU could help fund the brexit bashing corporation, for the work it's doing?

Yawn, LOL, you say it like it's in any way true:-

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2018/04/17/what-s-actually-going-on-with-the-bbc-and-brexit-bias

In fact, independent academic studies show a slight *pro-Brexit* bias:

https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-biased-is-the-bbc-17028

The reality is that if the BBC hadn't given minor parties equal billing in the name of "balance", and challenged their false claims as they should have done, there probably wouldn't be any Brexit at all!

Oh dear...... looks like what that bloke down the pub told you wasn't true... again! :?

6 hours ago, euclid said:

Thats not even the price of a pint...or a burger..what exactly are you going to do with all that money....a bag of chips and change..:hihi:

As i have already said " it has allowed me to see things/go places i could never dream of...I saw Henry Cooper flatten Cassius Clay...England win the world cup...man walk on the moon (allegedly:D)...Kennedy assassinated....been deep under the Ocean,seen Earth from space.......seen the poverty of some nations as well as the rich ones.....the world cup in Russia...Olga Korbut win  those gold medals in the olympics (1972/76)..I could go on and on......i also download radio shows off BBC-i-player and play them back on my mobile when out walking or motorcycling..this too is included in the licence fee...for a few quid a week it is a real bargain,although i don't condone the wages paid to the presenters....the one thing i wouldn't do is pay for the likes of SKY...............

It is money that is far better off in apelike's pocket than the BBCs greedy coffers.

Edited by spilldig

10 hours ago, euclid said:

All those exotic places you imagined you travelled to were really just sat in front of your TV set, being slowly anaesthetised. All those long hours of conditioning you've absorbed...

Participate in life - not spectate!

10 hours ago, woodview said:

The BBC has received £millions in unspecified 'research and development' funding, which it is desperate to keep secret. £3 million in EU funding was applied for and received by the BBC between April 2011 and November 2013, and out of this £1 million was spent on programming. 

The BBC requests EU money and receives EU money.

10 hours ago, woodview said:

According to the  EU Financial Transparency System, the BBC received 4,850,000 € in grant funding in 2017.

The BBC requests EU money. The BBC receives EU money.

Edited by Car Boot