Black screen.

I have an old laptop which I want to give to charity.  I got an IT expert to strip all my personal information from it, but the screen when opened up remains very dark, even though it has a picture on it. I cannot imagine anyone putting up with a black screen like this. It was never like this when I used it myself. I wonder what has caused this and can it be rectified .? 

It sounds like the power supply for the backlight has died..

Usually a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.... post up the make/model number and I/we can look into it...

since you're planning on giving it to charity, I guess you wouldn't want to pay anything, if I know the make/model I can see if I have anything in my spares...

Although, I wonder which charity you intend to donate it to, as it's doubtful many (if any) would accept it, due to various risk factors...

It’s ok Ghozer I’ve decided to dump it. Thanks for your advice.

Ah, Shame..

You may have been better taking / donating to Aspire (if you weren't going to take it anywhere else) 

For future reference (and for anyone else) :: http://www.aspire-sheffield.co.uk/

It couldn’t be something as simple as the brightness is turned down could it ?

I think I may do that Ghozer. Have noted the link.

No Wallace, the IT expert tried the brightness button but it had no effect.

Anyone have a phone number for Aspire .?

0114 285 3788

Hours:

Sunday Closed
Monday 9am–5pm
Tuesday 9am–5pm
Wednesday 9am–5pm
Thursday 9am–5pm
Friday 9am–5pm
Saturday Closed

4 hours ago, Temuchin said:

0114 285 3788

Hours:

Sunday Closed
Monday 9am–5pm
Tuesday 9am–5pm
Wednesday 9am–5pm
Thursday 9am–5pm
Friday 9am–5pm
Saturday Closed

Thank you Temuchin.

On 01/02/2019 at 18:21, Ghozer said:

It sounds like the power supply for the backlight has died..

Usually a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.... post up the make/model number and I/we can look into it...

since you're planning on giving it to charity, I guess you wouldn't want to pay anything, if I know the make/model I can see if I have anything in my spares...

Although, I wonder which charity you intend to donate it to, as it's doubtful many (if any) would accept it, due to various risk factors...

I had someone in to clear all my details off my old laptop so I could give it to Aspire, only to be told that they now don’t accept old laptops.

Ghozer asked for the make and model number so he could find out more details for me regarding the black screen. I cannot find my booklet on it but it says Packard Bell Easynote on the computer itself. Seems a shame to dump it.

ah, if it's really as old as a PB Easynote, it's strip down for spares/repairs and sell on ebay, or send it to landfil then i'm afraid!!