Why cheaper from other side of world?

I just picked up a package dropped by the postman. It is a converter for a screw in bulb holder.

Someone has ordered a bulb holder on eBay from China, and the postman has delivered it, almost. This item has travelled 4,800 miles, how can products travel so far and still have a profit for the seller?

If I wanted to send an item further than the UK for would be a levy. It was in the news a few weeks ago about internet sales and tax. Is that why its feasible? No import tax, no corporation tax and no VAT, is the taxman turning a blind-eye?

I bought a pack of 16 coffee stencils online. They came from china. Arrived 2 days after order. The packaging had a flight number. They only cost 40p, no postage and they are excellent. I also wonder how the company make a profit.

22 minutes ago, Fiat500 said:

I bought a pack of 16 coffee stencils online. They came from china. Arrived 2 days after order. The packaging had a flight number. They only cost 40p, no postage and they are excellent. I also wonder how the company make a profit.

Second class postage in the UK is 58p

First class wages regardless of the class of postage in the UK.

Might have something to do with Chinese companies ignoring copyright/trademarks/patents and copying other company's designs, companies that have spent time and money on research and development and complying with safety regs.

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

Might have something to do with Chinese companies ignoring copyright/trademarks/patents and copying other company's designs, companies that have spent time and money on research and development and complying with safety regs.

Like Kidneystone said, that saves Joe public hundreds of pounds every year, it's just a matter of tax. Why should the like of Nike etc make millions

Ebay and online seems cheaper for most things, it's a wonder the High Street is still going. 4 spark plugs for my car, £7.77 on ebay or £3 each at Andrew Pages just a 5 minute walk away.

23 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Ebay and online seems cheaper for most things, it's a wonder the High Street is still going. 4 spark plugs for my car, £7.77 on ebay or £3 each at Andrew Pages just a 5 minute walk away.

shops have to look nice and need to be well stocked, staff need to be well presented and attract higher rates than warehouses.

17 hours ago, El Cid said:

I have bought/buy quite a lot from overseas..just as an instance,my Honda motorcycle has (4) "Iridium Plugs" fitted as standard,in the UK they cost between £20-£25 each + postage (NGK) depending on supplier....i bought a set (4 NGK) from the States  .cost £42  and that was inclusive of postage etc....I also buy Hush Puppies Powerwalkers for my wife from the States..about 6 pairs up to now...as she is diabetic and they can be bought in different widths....(they are also known as diabetic shoes in the States),...the last time i bought 2 pairs in cream leather. (Jan 2017) and the cost for TWO pairs. 

Hush Puppies Women's Power Walker II Leather Ankle-High Leather Fashion Sneaker ORDER TOTAL

£36.61 plus about £20 p+p

.but i did come across a bargain,...one pair still in box new,the other one still in excellent condition,+another pair in white also as new + others in black...other times i have paid around £50 +PP

In the UK.on Amazon.. to quote:-.....Hush Puppies Power Walker II/White Leather....

Price: £210.96 FREE delivery.