Winter proofing your car?

Why would anyone use windscreen jets when it's icy??

Surely after the outside temperature's risen, they should start working in any case?

Re. an icy windscreen; I just let the engine run for about 5 mins which is how long it takes for the 'cold light' to go out, and then put the heater on full power for a couple more minutes to clear the screen (both inside and out).

Edited by TyneSoft

1 hour ago, TyneSoft said:

Surely after the outside temperature's risen, they should start working in any case?

Re. an icy windscreen; I just let the engine run for about 5 mins which is how long it takes for the 'cold light' to go out, and then put the heater on full power for a couple more minutes to clear the screen (both inside and out).

To clear crap off the outside of the windscreen when you're driving along? 🙄

2 hours ago, TyneSoft said:

You get lots of grime on the windscreen from wet gritted roads.  I washed my windscreen more on a 2 hr drive on Friday than I have for a year before that!

14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You get lots of grime on the windscreen from wet gritted roads.  I washed my windscreen more on a 2 hr drive on Friday than I have for a year before that!

Leave more space from the car in front ;)

We've got minus temp in daytime as standard here, goes down to about -10 at night atm. And the car sleeps outside, the street is on the north-facing side of building. Thick-frosted windows all-around every morning as standard, and 4 inches of snow twice last week.

No particular winterisation required here (besides compulsory winter tyres). Just keep the screenwash topped up with undiluted supermarket solution (rated to -30), start the car before scraping the windows (all of them, compulsory here)and let engine heat warm up the pipes and jets, then don't use screenwash before the car has warmed up and the blower is beginning to heat the (inside) windscreen (then screenwash won't freeze/smear as you use it).

14 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

To clear crap off the outside of the windscreen when you're driving along? 🙄

Not just grime.  When I set off in the cold the windscreen sort of "mists" over and needs a wipe, often with a bit of screenwash to help it.

On 04/02/2019 at 10:02, L00b said:

Leave more space from the car in front ;)

We've got minus temp in daytime as standard here, goes down to about -10 at night atm. And the car sleeps outside, the street is on the north-facing side of building. Thick-frosted windows all-around every morning as standard, and 4 inches of snow twice last week.

No particular winterisation required here (besides compulsory winter tyres). Just keep the screenwash topped up with undiluted supermarket solution (rated to -30), start the car before scraping the windows (all of them, compulsory here)and let engine heat warm up the pipes and jets, then don't use screenwash before the car has warmed up and the blower is beginning to heat the (inside) windscreen (then screenwash won't freeze/smear as you use it).

It's mostly coming from the opposite carriageway actually.

Tip: If you need to scrape your windscreen don't forget to get the scraper between the wipers and the windscreen to ensure they aren't stuck together. Nothing worse than hearing the wiper motor grinding away not being able to detach the wipers from the windscreen.

16 minutes ago, max said:

Tip: If you need to scrape your windscreen don't forget to get the scraper between the wipers and the windscreen to ensure they aren't stuck together. 

I would advise against doing this as it is the easiest way to split a brittle rubber wiper blade.

Much safer to spray some deicer along the top of the blade and let it remove the ice gently.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I would advise against doing this as it is the easiest way to split a brittle rubber wiper blade.

Much safer to spray some deicer along the top of the blade and let it remove the ice gently.

45 years plus and it hasn't happened yet.