Winter proofing your car?

I'm finding this cold weather is causing a couple of car problems. Feel free to chip in with suggestions / solutions / share your own winter car problems...

Problem 1 - Windscreen jets freezing up.

I'm using concentrate screenwash, more than 50% screenwash to water ratio. It's not been that cold, so guessing it's he pipes that deliver screenwash from reservoir to jets, that have frozen at some point? I'm spraying  anti freeze on to the jets, which I guess helps a bit. Anything else to try? Would pouring hot water on the pipes / jets help?

Problem 2 - Frozen condensation on inside of front windscreen.

Scraping this off results in ice water all over the dash. Anyway to prevent buildup of condensation in first place? Anyone tried cat litter in a sock or pair of tights?

Use the screenwash neat if it's freezing up, or switch to a better brand that is stable to lower temperatures.

The supermarket stuff isn't really good for proper cold.

Is the car used infrequently??  One in regular use shouldn't have condensation issues unless there is a problem.

Does the car have air conditioning?  Auto-climate control?

Edited by geared

Decent screenwash like the super strength stuff from Eurocarparts for example is good down to about -60C, even diluted 1:3 it's good down to about -15C. Thats the best way to sort the jets out.

Condensation inside means water inside... I find a hot blast on the feet to dry off the water that gets brought in helps to control that sort of thing.

1.  No matter what strength screenwash you have, moisture and ice will form on the jets and block them.  Try covering them with a cloth or bit of masking tape overnight.

2. Moisture traps, thick carpeted floor mats, opening windows to expel car of cold breath moisture, and give the car a good run so it gets warm (again leaving windows open to expel the moist warm air) are the best ways to combat damp in a car over Winter.

I'm using this screenwash from Halfords at the moment, usually 20% dilution but just upped to 33%:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/screenwash-de-icer/halfords--10-concentrate-screenwash-5l-berry

Edited by alchresearch

I have ... Triple QX all seasons concentrate screenwash bought from Euro Car Parts. I did have a 50-50 mix in, but recently topped up with pure screenwash.

Probably use car 2 or 3 times a week. It's got air conditioning, bit it's only a basic car (Peugeot 107).

Would it help just starting it up and doing a short run everyday?

Waldo, spraying Anti freeze on washer jets ? I hope you mean De icer ! Anti freeze will strip the paint  ! 

20 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Waldo, spraying Anti freeze on washer jets ? I hope you mean De icer ! Anti freeze will strip the paint  ! 

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant!

Is it likely that the blockage is in or around the jets? Or would it be further along the hose that goes to the screenwash reservoir?

If you are using the triple QX stuff then it's unl;ikley that the pipes will freeze. The alcohol in the tips of the jets evaporates, freezes as it does and plugs the very end. As someone above said, either cover the jets overnight or hold your fingers on them for a few seconds and that helps.

Or buy heated washer jets. They are not too pricey.

Or stick a big sheet over the windscreen and cover the jets and screen - our peugeots were above 10 inch from the screen.

£land do the groundsheet stuff that is big enough.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Can you get fined for driving whilst windscreen washers not working, it would fail an MOT.

Most supermarket pre diluted screenwash is only good down to -5*. It was down to -3* to -5* the night before last so not much margin for error. My dad uses a clipper lighter with a big flame to unblock his washer jets. Only takes a couple of seconds per jet.

And advice for those who drive large diesels (2.5L+) with an older battery. Give your battery a good old long charge of 24 hours or more if possible. A lead acid battery looses something like 5%  of available cold cranking capacity per degree below 0* so a  reasonable well charged battery at normal temperature will struggle to start a big diesel when it gets down below -3, especially if the battery is a few years old.

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

I'm finding this cold weather is causing a couple of car problems. Feel free to chip in with suggestions / solutions / share your own winter car problems...

I'm using concentrate screenwash, more than 50% screenwash to water ratio. It's not been that cold, so guessing it's he pipes that deliver screenwash from reservoir to jets, that have frozen at some point? I'm spraying  anti freeze on to the jets, which I guess helps a bit. Anything else to try? Would pouring hot water on the pipes / jets help?

Problem 2 - Frozen condensation on inside of front windscreen.

Scraping this off results in ice water all over the dash. Anyway to prevent buildup of condensation in first place? Anyone tried cat litter in a sock or pair of tights?

Solution 1 - Use a quality screenwash, undiluted or 3:1 SW:water. Personally I use Prestones, Comes in a yellow bottle, I use it 3:1 and hasn't frozen even in minus double figures. 

Solution 2 - Initally try some moisture traps, you can pick the up from poundland. Once you've done that try to work out how the moisture is getting in. Check all your door seals etc. If you have air-con then run that for at least 10mins (don't need to set it to cold)