Jeremy Hardy dies at 57

He could be a tad too lefty for me but he was always good value on the News Quiz on radio 4, and was funny and knowledgeable.  Surprised to hear he presented top of the pops once!

That's sad news, I liked Jeremy Hardy. According to the piece I've just read from the Independent he once had a performance cancelled by Burnley Council after saying ( in his very funny R4 programme Speaks to the Nation) that BNP members should be shot.

I also liked Jeremy Hardy and his wonderfully sardonic wit. 

Died far too young, and will be missed.

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

He could be a tad too lefty for me but he was always good value on the News Quiz on radio 4, and was funny and knowledgeable.  Surprised to hear he presented top of the pops once!

Found him very funny in 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.' 

Apparently he upset a lot of folk &  was once booed by the audience during Radio 4's, 'Just a Minute', when given the word 'Parasite' to talk about for 60 seconds & he began talking about the Royal Family. 

Wonder if the clip is available online anywhere? 

I saw him live back in the 80s, he was brilliant then and was always good value ever since. Shocked and upset by his death.

Cancer eh, what a bummer.

On 01/02/2019 at 12:11, Halibut said:

That's sad news, I liked Jeremy Hardy. According to the piece I've just read from the Independent he once had a performance cancelled by Burnley Council after saying ( in his very funny R4 programme Speaks to the Nation) that BNP members should be shot.

Stop politicising someone's death please, anyhow RIP Mr Hardy

10 hours ago, mickey finn said:

Stop politicising someone's death please, anyhow RIP Mr Hardy

I'm quite convinced Mr Hardy would approve, so my comment stands.

7 hours ago, Halibut said:

I'm quite convinced he wouldn't urinate in your direction if you were in flames.

2 minutes ago, Hots on said:

I'm quite convinced he wouldn't urinate in your direction if you were in flames.

Of course he wouldn't; he's dead. Bit pathetic that you've come onto a thread mourning the death of a great comic just to have a go at me is it not?

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

He was a very politically involved individual so on reflection I think you are correct, even though I didnt agree with a most of is politics I did find him very funny and very intelligent and only 57, I hate cancer.

Being, more or less, a contemporary of Jeremy Hardy and having seen him perform some of his early stand-ups, I relate somewhat to this piece by Mark Steel, published in the i.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hardy-death-brain-cancer-comedian-obituary-tribute-mark-steel-a8758226.html