Parking meters being removed?

2 hours ago, ivan edake said:

It will be another council con trick designed to catch the motorist and extract more money in fines.Have a look at the parking meters down Hillsborough and see how many of the clocks are fast,a sure fire way to collect a fine if you don't check your watch and the clock are the same before you leave.

If the clocks are fast you get more time for your money.

4 hours ago, molecularbob said:

'cos it's flaky as. It gets very slow if lots of people try to use it at the same time, just surprised that the old ones have been pulled, but the replacements aren't being put in yet, there is only one machine working near the Hospital that gives 4hr parking tickets.

I haven't had any problems with the app at all and have used it 100's of times.

15 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

No ones answered the question as to why they are removing the option to pay via app.

They are not removing the app payment  option.

The new machines are installed by a contractor and, I’m told, Parking Services will then come along and fit the stickers which identify the location in the app. So, just a short-term inconvenience.

15 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

So, just a short-term inconvenience.

Or, in Sheffield Forum parlance, the end of the world as we know it.

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They are not removing the app payment  option.

The new machines are installed by a contractor and, I’m told, Parking Services will then come along and fit the stickers which identify the location in the app. So, just a short-term inconvenience.

Fair enough if that happens but they've disappeared off the app search facility as well.

On 05/02/2019 at 13:49, Lockjaw said:

No you don't,you get caught out if the parking meter clock is fast,work it out.

The parking wardens  check the p&d machine  including the time displayed. They also allow an additional 10 minutes after the p&d ticket expires(against the time on the p&d machine) so you will never be shortchanged.

Parked on Arundel St again today, still no sign of the pay by phone sticker on the meter, I assume the council have to pay for this service so I would have assumed they'd have the stickers on fairly quickly. I'll expect a detailed explanation from Planner1 if they don't appear soon.

11 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Parked on Arundel St again today, still no sign of the pay by phone sticker on the meter, I assume the council have to pay for this service so I would have assumed they'd have the stickers on fairly quickly. I'll expect a detailed explanation from Planner1 if they don't appear soon.

PaybyPhone take a percentage of the money paid for parking via their app/phone service. That's how they get paid.

The stickers are being put on the machines by Parking Services staff. You can call them or email them direct and get an update.

On 06/02/2019 at 19:45, ivan edake said:

No you don't,you get caught out if the parking meter clock is fast,work it out.

I did work it out; hence my post.

Say you arrive at the meter at 11:15 but its clock is 10 minutes fast. 

The clock says 11:25. 

If you pay for an hour your ticket will say that it expires at 12:25.

Therefore, you get an extra ten minutes for your hour fee.

1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

I did work it out; hence my post.

Say you arrive at the meter at 11:15 but its clock is 10 minutes fast. 

The clock says 11:25. 

If you pay for an hour your ticket will say that it expires at 12:25.

Therefore, you get an extra ten minutes for your hour fee.

I can see what you are saying, but no, because the CEO's check  the  pay and display machines and take account of whether the machine is showing the right time. You pay for an hour, that's what you get. (You essentially get whatever time period you pay for plus 10 minutes as lawfully they have to give you 10 minutes "grace" after any period of paid for parking)

20 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I can see what you are saying, but no, because the CEO's check  the  pay and display machines and take account of whether the machine is showing the right time. You pay for an hour, that's what you get. (You essentially get whatever time period you pay for plus 10 minutes as lawfully they have to give you 10 minutes "grace" after any period of paid for parking)

Hang on.

So, if the machine was, say 20 minutes fast (unlikely, I know) so my ticket bought at midday said it expired at 1:20, if the CEOs visted my car at 1:15 I'd get a fine?

IE, is it ten minutes grace on the stated time on the ticket or on the hour since the ticket was actually purchased?

Edited by Lockjaw