Tramlines 2019

Guest makapaka
43 minutes ago, Edward Vimto said:

It will be a success regardless. I don't think dishing out a few hundred tickets to locals will tie them down too much. Especially when they are making £££££ in profit.

You obviously don't live near Hillsborough park. 

Maybe it will maybe it won’t. 

The point I was making is that im not bothered either way - as long as they focus on providing another successful festival I don’t really care whether the local residents get free tickets or not. 

Are the residents against it or for it?

If they’re for it pay like everyone else.

if they are against it then why do they want a free ticket?

Funnily enough you're not bothered about the local residents because you aren't one.

What a shocker, with you normally overflowing with compassion and all.

22 hours ago, makapaka said:

Straw man.

Not at all.  You quite clearly said that handing out a small number of free tickets would "tie them down" and you'd rather they be able to concentrate on something else.

I’d much rather the organisers do their best to make it another success rather than get tied down trying to appease a few local residents

Did you forget your own words or something?

It's quite clearly possible to concentrate on making it a success whilst also handing out a few hundred free tickets to the closest residents who will be massively inconvenienced by the entire thing.

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Funnily enough you're not bothered about the local residents because you aren't one.

What a shocker, with you normally overflowing with compassion and all.

Not at all.  You quite clearly said that handing out a small number of free tickets would "tie them down" and you'd rather they be able to concentrate on something else.

Did you forget your own words or something?

It's quite clearly possible to concentrate on making it a success whilst also handing out a few hundred free tickets to the closest residents who will be massively inconvenienced by the entire thing.

They are not massively inconvenienced.

you said

“Because handing out a reasonable number of free tickets would make it impossible for them to do anything else?”

i never said it would make it impossible for them to do anything else - straw man.

if they give them tickets so be it - I don’t care if they do or they don’t though. As I said before it would be a bit rich to complain about it and then accept a free ticket. If you’re not complaining about it what’s the problem? Buy a ticket and go an enjoy yourself.

Edited by makapaka

Do you need me to quote you again.

I’d much rather the organisers do their best to make it another success rather than get tied down trying to appease a few local residents

You clearly think that they can't "do their best to make it another success" if they are "tied down" handing out a few local tickets.  It's nonsense isn't it.  Handing out a few free tickets won't "tie them down" or stop them "doing their best" will it...

Guest makapaka
13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Do you need me to quote you again.

You clearly think that they can't "do their best to make it another success" if they are "tied down" handing out a few local tickets.  It's nonsense isn't it.  Handing out a few free tickets won't "tie them down" or stop them "doing their best" will it...

It's boring constantly having to go back and correct you.

This is the statement I was responding to;

"I think the attitude from the organisers is "Stuff the residents,  the festival was a success last time and we will do what we want"

Whilst I probably wouldn't agree with using the phrase "Stuff the residents" I don't see why the organisers should spend resources (on free tickets or any other appeasements) as I don't think there is any massive inconvenience.  Nor do I understand why someone would want a ticket to an event they disagree with as I've said above.

I live near enough to apply for free tickets.  I haven't applied, as we wouldn't make proper use of them, although I can see the appeal to younger families.  As far as I understand, the free tickets are a bit of a lottery - you put in your application, along with all the rest, and a number will be successful.  

I use the park, especially the library and the walled garden, those were still accessible AFAIR last year.   Parking for locals was great, far less difficult than when Wednesday are at home, and the noise wasn't too bad.  The stock car racing a few weeks ago was far louder, and the fair can also be heard from the park.  Tramlines is good for Hillsborough, the park makes a few quid, and if anyone is inconvenienced, its not for long.

On 13/05/2019 at 13:20, Top Cats Hat said:

Not true.

The perimeter fenced off just over 50% of the park. The remainder was accessible to the public.

I see that this is going to be another ‘let’s moan about Tramlines’ thread. The residents’ tickets issue is another ridiculous argument. You either approve of the festival or you don’t and this shouldn’t be dependent upon whether you are given a free ticket or not. 🙄

Perhaps if the part not closed of includes the dog toilet, bowling green, walled garden, library, running track tennis courts, it was certainly all of the open flat area for 2 weeks. I see they conveniently included the arena and bowling green on the plan which are definitely not parts of the public's park.

TL18-Perimeter-Map-02-01-728x1024.png

Guest makapaka
14 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Perhaps if the part not closed of includes the dog toilet, bowling green, walled garden, library, running track tennis courts, it was certainly all of the open flat area for 2 weeks. I see they conveniently included the arena and bowling green on the plan which are definitely not parts of the public's park.

TL18-Perimeter-Map-02-01-728x1024.png

Ah well - it’s only a week or so isn’t it.

Hillsborough Arena and it's playing fields are definitely NOT part of the park either.  That's the entire block to the south of the "West Gate".

hillsboroughtramline.jpg

Areas in green are still accessible and not private.  Note that it includes the tennis courts (in the park, but not park themselves), the lawn in front of the library, a strip of grass by the road on the left and what was an area simply leading to one of the main entrances (West gate).
It's pretty clear that considerably more than 50% of the park is closed off, the few strips that are left being largely unusable.

Edited by Cyclone

20 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Ah well - it’s only a week or so isn’t it.

No, not even close.  The hoardings went up either 1 or 2 weeks in advance, and they took about a month to be fully removed (perhaps 3 weeks).

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

It's boring constantly having to go back and correct you.

This is the statement I was responding to;

"I think the attitude from the organisers is "Stuff the residents,  the festival was a success last time and we will do what we want"

Whilst I probably wouldn't agree with using the phrase "Stuff the residents" I don't see why the organisers should spend resources (on free tickets or any other appeasements) as I don't think there is any massive inconvenience.  Nor do I understand why someone would want a ticket to an event they disagree with as I've said above.

And it's tedious to have to repeat what you said, but it was quite clear that you didn't think they could hand out a few free tickets and still concentrate on making it a success.  You said pretty much exactly that.

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

No, not even close.  The hoardings went up either 1 or 2 weeks in advance, and they took about a month to be fully removed (perhaps 3 weeks).

6 weeks? Don't recall it being that long. Either way. Not the end of the world is it.

26 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

And it's tedious to have to repeat what you said, but it was quite clear that you didn't think they could hand out a few free tickets and still concentrate on making it a success.  You said pretty much exactly that.

I've already clarified what I meant in post #29. Keep up.

Edited by makapaka