Homes needed for 10,000 laying waren hens.

Healey city farm is trying to find homes for 10,000 warens. 

Apparently the 15 month old  birds have many years of laying left. Asking price is £5 per bird.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47070953

Healey city farm tel: 0114 258 0482

Edited by Janus

I am so desperate to keep hens but sadly cant where I live, I hope that all of these little Ladies get lovely new lives :)

Utter rubbish.

Caged hens are glorified battery hens with a little more space. Its also untrue that they have many years of laying left. I have kept poultry for nineteen years; ducks, geese and chickens. I used to breed rare breeds, have kept bantam and large fowl but I just keep a few egg laying pets now. Some hens live over a decade but warrens aka ISA Browns etc only usually live three years at most. Towards the end of their second year their egg quality deteriorates, the white doesn't set as hard, its a bit like an egg that isn't as fresh even thought its freshly laid. I stopped keeping that 'breed' (its a cross not a breed) for that reason. I have kept egg laying birds (as opposed to table birds) with the exception of light sussex which are dual purpose. It wouldn't cost much more that £5 to buy a warren as they go in to these poultry farms. 

Supporting anything to do with caged hens helps to keep them caged. Don't buy any eggs produced by  caged birds or any processed products containing them either.  Look for UK free range eggs.