Is my new HDD dead?

I just bought a new 2.5 inch HDD to replace a failing disk in a laptop.

When I power up the new disk it immediately starts making a ticking sound (about 2 ticks per second), it doesn't seem to spin up. I tried another HDD (different brand and model) which worked OK. Is this likely to be a dead disk or could there be some other explanation?

Normally when a drive makes that sound it is a sign of failure. Have you replaced it in the laptop or using it with a USB caddy as sometimes a USB caddy may not get enough power from a laptop USB port.

Am using it with a caddy, but the caddy I am using has a separate 2A power supply for the HDD, and it has always worked fine in the past with 2.5" and 3.5" disks (it supports both).

Interesting, just tried the disk in a desktop machine and it spun up ok. Looks like it is the caddy that is the problem. Now how am I going to prepare the disk without a caddy?

It is WD Blue 1TB.

Is it of the same size of drive as the one being replaced? Could you not put the existing drive in the caddy and the new one in the machine and use some free cloning software like Macrium Reflect? ;)

Existing disk is regularly failing to read sectors, so I am planning to do a new Win 10 install and restore some files from a previous backup. Just wanted to partition the disk before doing the install.

Dont worry, just partition the disk after.

On 31/01/2019 at 20:57, andysm said:

Interesting, just tried the disk in a desktop machine and it spun up ok. Looks like it is the caddy that is the problem. Now how am I going to prepare the disk without a caddy?

It is WD Blue 1TB.

Is it possible that the small round plug  from the 2 amp power was not pushed fully on to the caddy, resulting in the caddy only picking up power from the usb?