Machete Attack McDonald's Sheffield

14 minutes ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

And to put that into context, there were 40,147 offences involving a knife or bladed instrument recorded in the 12 months up to March 2018 in the whole of the UK, most of those will be people arrested for carrying a knife rather than a stabbing, London, with a population of 9million had 1299 stabbings recorded in the 12 months up to April  (a 6928 to 1 chance of being a victim) whereas Sheffield, with a population of about 580,000 had 28 stabbings according to that Star report, which means we have a 20714 to 1 chance of being a victim.

I wasn't pretending we don't have crime and that it shouldn't be lower, I was just saying that what happened today does not alter the fact that Sheffield is statistically one of the safest cities to live in whether people want to believe it or not.

Wow! :o

If your calculations are correct (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then to put that into some sort of perspective, we can roughly expect 1 person who attends either a Wednesday or United home match to be stabbed!

I find that quite frightening... :(

21 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Thats just an excuse 

On the money.

Angel1

24 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

If your calculations are correct (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then to put that into some sort of perspective, we can roughly expect 1 person who attends either a Wednesday or United home match to be stabbed!

To be honest they're only very basic rough calculations since there are other factors that massively alter the likelihood such as age, social circle, involvement in other criminal activity etc. My point is that however you measure it Sheffield is pretty safe for an urban area but some people hear of incidents like today and start thinking that they're taking their lives into their own hands just going outside when in reality there's a higher chance of being injured or killed every time you get into a car.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

was hardly a Machete....

6 hours ago, woodmally said:

Nope the snowflakes will be saying he is mentally ill and I hope he gets the help he needs.  

My second oldest daughter has had schizophrenia for the last 25 years and even using a potato peeler scares her a little. There is a big difference between mental illness and drug-induced madness. Although my daughter has lost 5 mentally ill friends to suicide, not one of them would have ever hurt anyone else.  I know there are some sad cases of schizophrenics doing bad things, but they are rare and are usually due to them not taking their meds and/or not having a support person or persons.

Edited by Ontarian1981

2 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Thats just an excuse 

I’m not making excuses for him, the fact is, he was found to be in possession of drugs which makes him either a dealer or buyer.

2 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

Sheffield is statistically one of the safest cities to live in whether people want to believe it or not.

Absolute nonsense. It is one of the safest of the core cities. It is most certainly not one of the safest cities. 

2 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

The odds are probably quite a lot higher than that.

For instance, it might be reasonable to assume that some of the people stabbed don’t live in Sheffield and were ‘visiting’ therefore, you’d have to take into account the amount of people that visit Sheffield in any given year (for work, tourism etc).

Also, a one in >20,000 chance of something is pretty unlikely.

imagine you are stood in that crowd and they said we’ll pick a random person     every year to give £100 to, you wouldn’t expect to be the ‘winner’ would you?

that said, people still do the lottery so I suppose the feeling of luck or anti-luck isn’t particularly objective or numbers based.

9 hours ago, byeo said:

Why do the "mentally ill" always seem to carry knifes and whatnot.

They don't

13 minutes ago, Daven said:

They don't

I think that poster was being sarcastic. 

2 hours ago, byeo said:

I’m not making excuses for him, the fact is, he was found to be in possession of drugs which makes him either a dealer or buyer.

And what?

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

My second oldest daughter has had schizophrenia for the last 25 years and even using a potato peeler scares her a little. There is a big difference between mental illness and drug-induced madness. 

I agree with you, there are a lot of people with mental illness through no fault of their own and then you get the drug induced madness which can be quite frightening. 

Will they never learn ?