How to clean a radiator?

There is nothing else for it, the BFG1000 will sort these types of issues with one click of the button.

I'd sand them down a bit, repaint them and then a couple of coats with VHT clear lacquer. 

That way you can buff up with a good polish without any reaction or degradation of the colour. 

Rub them down and repaint. I wipe our bathroom and kitchen radiators down each week with a damp cloth to remove any dust and drips of water as people have reached for a towel. The radiators in the house just get dusted. 

26 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

Rub them down and repaint. I wipe our bathroom and kitchen radiators down each week with a damp cloth to remove any dust and drips of water as people have reached for a towel. The radiators in the house just get dusted. 

Do not talk to me about keeping towel rails clean. It's stainless and it's a constant battle. 

46 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do not talk to me about keeping towel rails clean. It's stainless and it's a constant battle. 

Our towel rails aren't so bad, its the radiator underneath. Hubby never shakes the excess water off his hands so we end up with dribbles down the radiator which make it rust. Its aways on the nearest edge to where he would reach first, never the other side. 

Guest makapaka
17 hours ago, Bob Arctor said:

The internet is handy for all sorts of things, but I challenge you to find a page that tells you how to clean a radiator that isn't just about how you get the fluff out of them. I'm good for fluff removal thanks, got that covered. What I want to know is how to clean the surface of a radiator, to blast away the accrued grime and despair that naturally accumulates to one's radiating heaters in the 21st century, where doom awaits but becomes impatient.

What started out as a minor irritant has now become a near obsession. If I don't achieve a resolution soon then I will be forced to bring extreme prejudice to bear on the situation. I can't say what specific type of prejudice or to whom it will be directed, but I can assure you it will be extreme.

Sand them down and repaint them?

Sand blast them. Then spray two coats of red lead. Simples.

Save yourself a load of agro................buy a new one