How to clean a radiator?

The internet is handy for all sorts of things, but I challenge you to find a page that tells you how to clean a radiator that isn't just about how you get the fluff out of them. I'm good for fluff removal thanks, got that covered. What I want to know is how to clean the surface of a radiator, to blast away the accrued grime and despair that naturally accumulates to one's radiating heaters in the 21st century, where doom awaits but becomes impatient.

What started out as a minor irritant has now become a near obsession. If I don't achieve a resolution soon then I will be forced to bring extreme prejudice to bear on the situation. I can't say what specific type of prejudice or to whom it will be directed, but I can assure you it will be extreme.

12 minutes ago, Bob Arctor said:

The internet is handy for all sorts of things, but I challenge you to find a page that tells you how to clean a radiator that isn't just about how you get the fluff out of them. I'm good for fluff removal thanks, got that covered. What I want to know is how to clean the surface of a radiator, to blast away the accrued grime and despair that naturally accumulates to one's radiating heaters in the 21st century, where doom awaits but becomes impatient.

What started out as a minor irritant has now become a near obsession. If I don't achieve a resolution soon then I will be forced to bring extreme prejudice to bear on the situation. I can't say what specific type of prejudice or to whom it will be directed, but I can assure you it will be extreme.

That sounds a bit RAD  ical. 

Are you referring to cleaning the inside where the black gunge accumulates, or the exterior?

Edited by Janus

The exterior, sir. I have of course tried the usual household cleaner, with both ionic and non-ionic surfactants, but found it sadly ill-suited to the task at hand. It gives me no pleasure to say that - I had hoped that we could remain on good terms, but I feel sadly let down.

Given the number of cans of gloss white, heat resistant spray paint for radiators in B&Q and Wilkos, I suspect that people just spray them 'new' again.

Rads can accumIate a bit of dirt at the base of the grooves, especially if there is no other half around.

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You must have a filthy house...

Au contraire, the house is clean. The radiators though have gone renegade, are flirting madly with pariah status. Like Tories at a compassion conference, they scream "Do something about me!" 

3 minutes ago, Bob Arctor said:

Au contraire, the house is clean. The radiators though have gone renegade, are flirting madly with pariah status. Like Tories at a compassion conference, they scream "Do something about me!" 

They need a good scrubber.

Unfortunately you can't scrub brilliant white without it becoming duller and duller with time.

1 hour ago, Bob Arctor said:

I bought a house with off colour radiators once and I used T Cut on them to Get them looking  a bit better. T cut removes oxidation from car paintwork so I tried it on the radiators and it bought them up like new.

16 minutes ago, mafya said:

I bought a house with off colour radiators once and I used T Cut on them to Get them looking  a bit better. T cut removes oxidation from car paintwork so I tried it on the radiators and it bought them up like new.

Ah, thank you. Someone who is interested in stopping the Doomsday clock at 11.55

Edited by Bob Arctor