Sheffield s11 water pressure

19 hours ago, carosio said:

Turning down the stop tap wont affect the pressure,  just the flow, and it will create problems with pipes banging, water hammer etc.

Turning down the stop tap reduces the pressure to everything after that, It can't  "slow the flow " unless it reduces pressure. You only turn it a fraction not enough to bang pipes.

I have nothing against any other way of doing it, just saying it worked for us.

13 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Turning down the stop tap reduces the pressure to everything after that, It can't  "slow the flow " unless it reduces pressure. You only turn it a fraction not enough to bang pipes.

I have nothing against any other way of doing it, just saying it worked for us.

It slows the flow by reducing the diameter of the supply. When you use water in the house that flow is reduced a little and could reduce pressure a little because the pressure gets a relief out of the open tap.  As soon as all taps are closed the pressure becomes exactly the same as at the supply tap again.

If it worked for you the pressure was probably not that high anyway and you didn't really need to play games with the stop tap in the first place.

A proper reducer valve doesn't slow down or reduce the supply. It only reduces the pressure properly and doesn't allow that pressure to go back up at any point.

Dutch, really interesting -- any idea how the reducer valve works? Don't know much about engineering, but I love this stuff!

2 hours ago, Dozer said:

Dutch, really interesting -- any idea how the reducer valve works? Don't know much about engineering, but I love this stuff!

If you love it there is YouTube material on pressure reducing valves. Most of them are for gas supply but water pressure regulators work similar. youtube example

The big difference versus the play with the stop tap joke is that the regulator opens further when you need more water and closes completely when you don't need water at a preset lower pressure you set not allowing the pressure to rise anymore but opening fully when kitchen bathroom toilet, lawn need water all at same time.

Edited by dutch

1 hour ago, dutch said:

If you love it there is YouTube material on pressure reducing valves. Most of them are for gas supply but water pressure regulators work similar. youtube example

The big difference versus the play with the stop tap joke is that the regulator opens further when you need more water and closes completely when you don't need water at a preset lower pressure you set not allowing the pressure to rise anymore but opening fully when kitchen bathroom toilet, lawn need water all at same time. 

Great video, thank you! I think I get it. It's like a thermostat, but for pressure instead of heat, reacting to changes in the incoming line.

26 minutes ago, Dozer said:

Great video, thank you! I think I get it. It's like a thermostat, but for pressure instead of heat, reacting to changes in the incoming line.

It is more like a cruise control when you compare the constant speed with pressure and flow rate with gas pedal control, it keeps the pressure (speed) constant but when demand increases (going uphill?) it opens the valve further to supply that demand at that constant speed pressure.

Edited by dutch

Ah, it responds to demand, not supply! Thank you again.

2 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Yes, we didn't have to reduce it by much, it  did however stop the leak without adversley affecting anything else.

2 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Edited by spilldig

What type of leak was that spildig if I may ask, what kind of connetion. I'm curious.

3 hours ago, dutch said:

What type of leak was that spildig if I may ask, what kind of connetion. I'm curious.

It was a leak on the kitchen tap which a new tap washer didn't cure dutch.

6 hours ago, spilldig said:

It was a leak on the kitchen tap which a new tap washer didn't cure dutch.

Thanks, 

I was really curious, closing the stop tap a bit does not really lower the pressure while all taps are closed. But it could possibly create a short moment when the pressure in the house is slightly lowered when the tap is running. Then making it easier to tighten it in the brief moment before that pressure is back at maximum again. 

When water pressure breaks equipment or the leak is at joints or connectors then reducing the supply won't solve the problem. 

Edited by dutch

On 03/02/2019 at 23:41, ez8004 said:

Do not do what this person said.  Do not use the stopcock as a way of reducing pressure.  You can get a proper pressure reducing valve installed. 

I have the opposite problem.  Water pressure in our area is too low.  Is there such a thing as a "pressure increasing valve" I wonder?  

If not then at least I've learned that you can use the word "****", on here, as long as it's part of another word, such as "stopcock".  But on it's own it's obviously a swear word, which is a pity for anyone that wishes to discuss male birds.