Sheffield s11 water pressure

Hi All

Anyone know what the cold water mains pressure is likely to be in the S11 postcode? I keep breaking pressure washers and am wondering if the input pressure is too high? 

thanks

Ian B

On 30 January 2019 at 11:10, molecularbob said:

Hi All

Anyone know what the cold water mains pressure is likely to be in the S11 postcode? I keep breaking pressure washers and am wondering if the input pressure is too high? 

thanks

Ian B

I live in the S14 area and the pressure Wendy up around 12 years ago, since then when we turn the cold water off at the sink or basin the pipes bang despite the stop tap being cracked right down, now for the past six years or so we get black slime coming out of the taps and just last year the pressure broke the ball **** in our toilet cistern, if we hadn't been in we would have been flooded out. Yorkshire water say the pressure is only slightly up but it's more than slightly and the council don't have a clue, even I know there's an external stop tap that can be turned down but the plumbers have no idea about them.

On 30/01/2019 at 11:10, molecularbob said:

Hi All

thanks

Ian B

It sounds like the pressure is to high. It can happen if you live at the bottom of a hill too. Reduce some pressure with the  mains stop ****. I suppose we will have to call it the mains stop valve seeing as the forum won' t  allow me to call it what plumbers have called it for as long as plumbing has been around.

Edited by spilldig

On 01/02/2019 at 09:53, spilldig said:

It sounds like the pressure is to high. It can happen if you live at the bottom of a hill too. Reduce some pressure with the  mains stop ****. I suppose we will have to call it the mains stop valve seeing as the forum won' t  allow me to call it what plumbers have called it for as long as plumbing has been around.

Do not do what this person said.  Do not use the stopcock as a way of reducing pressure.  You can get a proper pressure reducing valve installed. 

9 hours ago, ez8004 said:

Do not do what this person said.  Do not use the stopcock as a way of reducing pressure.  You can get a proper pressure reducing valve installed. 

Why not ?  It worked for years when we lived at low level and the pressure was too high.

Like ez8004 said. If they don't reduce it get a reducer valve installed. The valve itself cost round about £30 if you need a plumber they also charge for it, shouldn't be a big job.

Edited by dutch

On 01/02/2019 at 09:53, spilldig said:

Funnily enough this was exactly what Yorkshire Water advised me to do last year when they were <removed> around with my supply and broke my toilet (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's completely the wrong advice)

Edited by nikki-red

On 04/02/2019 at 16:43, Unrecordings said:

Funnily enough this was exactly what Yorkshire Water advised me to do last year when they were <removed> around with my supply and broke my toilet (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's completely the wrong advice)

I don't know.  All I can say is that it worked for us, for years.

Hi,

I live in S11 and have similar problems, so I bought a water pressure gauge from Amazon... After testing the water pressure which measured 6 bar, I then went out a bought a Honeywell Pressure Reducing valve which I set to 3 bar after getting a plumber to install it. 

Cheers

Cheers all.

6 bar might explain why I kept breaking Nilfisk pressure washers as its right on the input limit.  Nothing else is having problems so will get a reducer for the ouside tap and see how it goes.

Turning down the stop tap wont affect the pressure,  just the flow, and it will create problems with pipes banging, water hammer etc.

4 hours ago, molecularbob said:

Cheers all.

6 bar might explain why I kept breaking Nilfisk pressure washers as its right on the input limit.  Nothing else is having problems so will get a reducer for the ouside tap and see how it goes.

The reducer can be put on the pipe where it enters inside the house.

I mean a proper pressure reducer, carosio comments are right.

Edited by dutch