If this is how they treat their own staff...

... then what hope have claimants got? The DWP has lost an Employment Tribunal after they hired someone with chronic migraines as part of a programme designed to help people with barriers to working (including health conditions) into employment, then fired her after just four days of sickness absence. The Tribunal judge noted that the DWP 'did not make reasonable adjustments [under the Equality Act 2010]' and acted 'perversely'. But it is in line with their general approach of making hateful, bizarre and plainly wrong decisions in relation to disabled and ill people, then having to spend our money putting things right after causing misery and distress to people who already have enough on their plates, thanks.

In other news, the Personal Independence Payment system that replaced Disability Living Allowance has cost more money, rather than saved any as it was intended to do, in no small part because of the number of outrageous negative decisions made that are then overturned at great expense at Tribunals.

I hate these people.

1 hour ago, Bob Arctor said:

In other news, the Personal Independence Payment system that replaced Disability Living Allowance has cost more money, rather than saved any as it was intended to do, in no small part because of the number of outrageous negative decisions made that are then overturned at great expense at Tribunals.

It doesn't help having a target driven system where Atos and Capita are paid bonuses.

Maybe for every negative decision which is overturned on appeal, the assessors have to pay a penalty which is ten times the bonus.

Mrs May spelled it out when she said she was going to create 'a hostile environment.' In reality, she seems to make no allowances for those who are chronically ill or disabled. These people have been hounded - in some cases, literally to death. Universal credit has added to the mire. People talk about things like racism, but what is the term for hate crimes against the disabled? This Tory government is culpable in spades, and, as Bob Arctor says, it's costing millions (or billions?) to try and put right when the damage has been done.

Excellent posts so far. The way this government has treated genuinely ill and disabled people is a national disgrace. 

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Mrs May spelled it out when she said she was going to create 'a hostile environment.' In reality, she seems to make no allowances for those who are chronically ill or disabled. These people have been hounded - in some cases, literally to death. Universal credit has added to the mire. People talk about things like racism, but what is the term for hate crimes against the disabled? This Tory government is culpable in spades, and, as Bob Arctor says, it's costing millions (or billions?) to try and put right when the damage has been done.

This is a good point. If an organisation is institutionally racist then people know what that means and instantly react when they hear it. The DWP has an institutional hatred of disabled people but this doesn't trip off the tongue so well.

18 hours ago, Bob Arctor said:

... then what hope have claimants got? The DWP has lost an Employment Tribunal after they hired someone with chronic migraines as part of a programme designed to help people with barriers to working (including health conditions) into employment, then fired her after just four days of sickness absence. The Tribunal judge noted that the DWP 'did not make reasonable adjustments [under the Equality Act 2010]' and acted 'perversely'. But it is in line with their general approach of making hateful, bizarre and plainly wrong decisions in relation to disabled and ill people, then having to spend our money putting things right after causing misery and distress to people who already have enough on their plates, thanks.

I hate these people.

I could write an essay about the DWP as I am in the DLA to PIP debacle. The Governments own department has indeed published a paper stating the figures that PIP is now coating more than DLA to run. One of the figures state almost 70% of PIP decisions are overturned at tribunal. The main reason been that the DWP appointed assessors Atos and Capita tell LIES, it is a proven fact. I was urged by several disability forums to record the assessors visit, either by voice or video. I declined to do this, thinking that in the UK fairness and honesty would prevail. I was wrong. These assessors tell blatant lies. I think these people must be paid a bonus on how many disabled "customers" they can remove from the system.  

Angel1.

16 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It doesn't help having a target driven system where Atos and Capita are paid bonuses.

Maybe for every negative decision which is overturned on appeal, the assessors have to pay a penalty which is ten times the bonus.

I have no evidence of the bonus system, but agree that it is most probable. Allegedly these DWP hirelings are on £900 a week.

Another fly in the ointment, I believe these assessors hand out short term awards, one, two, or three years. Meaning that the "customer" has to be re assessed in the future. The cynic in me thinks maybe it's so they have an ongoing cushy job. No wonder PIP is costing more than the DLA it is replacing. If it did not concern the most vulnerable in our society, I would label this system a complete farce.

Angel1.