Advice - Connecting coaxial to HDMI cable for TV

HI, I am removing an old SKY digibox that no longer works and want to connect my existing aerial in the loft to my new TV.

I want to connect the coaxial cable to a new HDMI cable to supply TV, but not sure how to do this.

Do i need a basic coaxial to HDMI adaptor or do i need to have a Coaxial to HDMI converter?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Alan

If I understand correctly, you want to connect an aerial to use with the tvs freeview tuner? In that case, the TV should have a coax socket for it. Hdmi is used for external sources, like sky/virgin boxes, games consoles etc

Easy way for you poss buy a secondhand sky box either advertise on here or£15 on e.bay 

2 hours ago, slh73 said:

If I understand correctly, you want to connect an aerial to use with the tvs freeview tuner? In that case, the TV should have a coax socket for it. Hdmi is used for external sources, like sky/virgin boxes, games consoles etc

^^^ What he said.

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems i have to run a coax direct to TV or keep a sky box if i want to run HDMI cable to TV.

I was hoping that there could be another way of connecting a coaxial cable to a HDMI cable without the use of a Sky or Virgin Box

If the "coaxial cable" you mention is coming straight from the Sky dish on the wall then, no, you'll need a box.

However, if the coaxial cable is coming from a TV aerial on the roof, then there should be a socket on your TV for it.

An HDMI cable is a fully digital connector which only carries data, clocking signals and a power rail. 

A coaxial ariel cable carries only a radio frequency tv signal.

There is nothing in common between the two cables. Think of it as getting water into your combi boiler. You have to connect your mains water to a water connector on the boiler, not a gas connector. Even if you made an adaptor to feed water into a gas pipe the boiler still wouldn't work.

As has been said above, it needs to go directly into a coaxial socket on the TV or the digibox. It will be marked RF in or RF out.

Alandrea0:

Is your requirement basically to keep things tidy?

I was thinking about the type of set-up where there is a coaxle socket on the wall behind the tv and just a short piece of coaxle is needed.

If no socket exists , the coaxle could be run down the outside wall and a hole drilled low down where the  TV is located ?

On 29/01/2019 at 15:34, TheNugget said:

And if so, why???

You tell me ? I’m puzzled.

On 29/01/2019 at 09:26, alandrea0 said:

HI, I am removing an old SKY digibox that no longer works and want to connect my existing aerial in the loft to my new TV.

I want to connect the coaxial cable to a new HDMI cable to supply TV, but not sure how to do this.

Do i need a basic coaxial to HDMI adaptor or do i need to have a Coaxial to HDMI converter?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Alan

It's too late now, but if you were confident the dish and wiring were working fine, you could have got a TV with FreeSAT built in instead. Mine's got both FreeSAT and Freeview built in and I get a better picture with the dish than the aerial.