Advice please re extra working from home

I am currently in employment but another company has asked if I will do some extra work for them at home in my workshop 

can anyone tell me what I need to do ? Who do I need to inform? Do the council need to know etc ?

As I understand the Work / Tax system, and don't quote me on this, I could be very wrong as I've retired things could have changed, if you work - self employed, in any capacity, even part time the (IRS) Revenue Guys want to know about it, so you can contribute to them their Cut, Plus you may also need to get Personal or Public Liability insurance, dependant on what work you undertake. If you work as a sole trader for instance, extra Home ins and extra Business ins for Car/Van.

With regards to Council, Ask Them? I am not personally in that position so no ideas on that.

One thing occurred to me, as an after thought, carrying out work for another Firm, you might inadvertently be causing an infringement to rules Etc..that your current employer applies, some Firms have rules stating you can't Work for a Competitor within a certain period..

Check your Terms & Conditions at Work...Contract.

You'd probably need to apply for self assessment for the next tax year from HMRC (We don't have an IRS) and as DeZeus said, you'd possibly want to look into insurance and your contract of employment.

Ok Call me Old, plus failing fading memories, I meant HMRC, must be watching too many American Films, so thought we were becoming the 52nd State.....

Plus I can still remember it being called 'Inland Revenue' before it rebranded as HMRC