Adding SSD to laptop "drive not supported"?

Got a Samsung Evo 860 SSD drive to put in a decent but slightly slow laptop, currently it has a 2/3 year old WD HDD which is the bottle neck

Installed Samsung Magician software to laptop, which reports "drive is not suported", it recognises drive as WD BPKX-60HPJT0 - and gives no clue as to what to do next, fwiw HDD is 750GB partitioned into 325GB C / drive and 325GB D / data, SSD is 500GB and I only need to clone C

So I have no clue what to do now, got an expensive drive and £10 USB to SSD cable and need to figure this - suggestions please

What is the intention? The Samsung Magician software just looks like an application to keep the firmware up to date, analyse performce, and configure option on their SSD’s. It’s probably due to it being connected via USB rather than native SATA.

If you are wanting to clone the internal drive to the external SSD, the following guide will help and uses Easus ToDo Backup software which is fairly intuitive.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-disk-without-reinstalling-windows.html

Thanks Happ - I think you must be right, I have gone back to Samsung website and dug around - badly designed site imo - but downloading their migration software now

finshed download and the .exe certificate is from Clonix not Samsung - investigating further before I run that methinks

so now I am pondering some  different cloning software, Aomei seems well liked

Try Macrium Reflect which is free for home use;

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Just make sure you only tick partition C to clone. It will also automatically trim the SSD drive for you as well.

When I bought an EVO 850 ssd the Data Migration software was on the CD. Did you not get a CD ?

I've dug out the CD and you're welcome to borrow it if it helps.

Edited by Broakham

Reading this talking about HDD cloning reminds me of the days of using Norton Ghost from the command line, long before Symantec put it behind a ludicrous paid licence and then ruined subsequent versions before discontinuing it. 

These days I use clonezilla

Edited by Resident

I use Macrium.

I used to buy Acronis but found that Macrium did all I need for free. Very easy to use but have a read first.

I added one to my laptop. Big performance boost vs HDD. Downside, on occasion it fails to boot; next time it happens I'll post a screenshot.

It's also possible to use redobackup from sourceforge.net but it can't cope with larger to smaller - has to be same size or copy to has to be bigger.