Remember the six million .

13 minutes ago, Annoni_mouse said:

No I don't think anywhere did I make that suggestion? What an odd reply...

The whole post sounded like it to me.

"Perhaps there is no mention because the  Soviets were not victims of the holocaust in the same way as the Jewish were and the behaviour of the Red Army was comparable to the worst excesses of the Wehrmacht..."

Some things read differently to how they were meant to be written, but that sounded like they are less deserving of sympathy because of what their army did. I apologise if you meant something different.

The soviets who were killed were victims just the same as the jews. The nazis hated both groups. Most jews were killed outside of concentration camps, by shooting, starvation and all manne rof other inhuman treatment. Other holocaust victims suffered in the same way. The holocaust wasn't just the camps.

That's not meant in a way to diminish what happened to the jewish population. They were persecuted in horrific numbers.

It’s important to keep track of what we are discussing here. We are talking about remembering a systematic attempt to destroy a whole people. We’re talking about genocide. Yes during war there are atrocities and there were plenty in WW2 but holocaust Remembrance Day is about remembering the attempted systematic destruction of a people.

Its also worth noting it wasn’t the last time. Darfur and Rwanda are examples, and worth noting holocaust Remembrance Day remembers the victims of those (and other attempted genocides) too. It isn’t an exclusively Jewish thing.

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It’s important to keep track of what we are discussing here. We are talking about remembering a systematic attempt to destroy a whole people. We’re talking about genocide. Yes during war there are atrocities and there were plenty in WW2 but holocaust Remembrance Day is about remembering the attempted systematic destruction of a people.

Its also worth noting it wasn’t the last time. Darfur and Rwanda are examples, and worth noting holocaust Remembrance Day remembers the victims of those (and other attempted genocides) too. It isn’t an exclusively Jewish thing.

Correct. I'm not talking about military casualties either.

The nazis tried to eliminate Jews, Roma, poles, Slovakians etc etc they attempted genocide against all those groups. On top of that , wiping out other groups they found undesirable, disabled, homosexual etc.

Ww2 holocaust can refer to the Holocaust against Jews or also other civilian non military genocidal killing.

3 hours ago, Annoni_mouse said:

No I don't think anywhere did I make that suggestion? What an odd reply...

3 hours ago, Annoni_mouse said:

Perhaps there is no mention because the  Soviets were not victims of the holocaust in the same way as the Jewish were and the behaviour of the Red Army was comparable to the worst excesses of the Wehrmacht...

One of many examples

There were nearly three million Soviet POW,s killed in camps and forced marches. And I suppose the German soldiers acted like true gentlemen all the time.

8 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Quite possibly it is, depending on your motivation.

What is your motivation?

My Motivation?

Im not sure what you mean by MY motivation I merely made a statement.

I assume that for the two known right wing posters on here who have omitted communists from the list of those murdered, it is simply an oversight? 🤔

1 hour ago, K1Machine said:

My Motivation?

Im not sure what you mean by MY motivation I merely made a statement.

Simple question. Do you believe that the Nazis killed 6m Jews?

8 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Simple question. Do you believe that the Nazis killed 6m Jews?

Love it.

Straight to the point! 😉

On 27/01/2019 at 14:59, Top Cats Hat said:

It certainly is in Britain.

"Holocaust Memorial Day: 'Shocking' levels of denial remain"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015184

It is a real problem and makes it even more despicable that some are using antisemitism as a stick to score cheap points against their political opponents! 😡

I've not seen any previous polls taken out to compare this against; so whilst it's ridiculous that 5% of 2000 people deny the holocaust, we don't know if this number is dropping or rising.

What worries me more is that people seem to associate holocaust denial or celebration as purely the beliefs of the Western far right when it's more widespread than that.

2 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I've not seen any previous polls taken out to compare this against; so whilst it's ridiculous that 5% of 2000 people deny the holocaust, we don't know if this number is dropping or rising.

What worries me more is that people seem to associate holocaust denial or celebration as purely the beliefs of the Western far right when it's more widespread than that.

From what I've read it is rising and this could be as a result of the rise of social media where fake news and far-right conspiracy theories have been able to attract a wider audience.

And yes, large parts of the Islamic world also have holocaust denial as a central tenet of their antisemitism.

22 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There was a cabinet meeting during the war when the first intelligence about the holocaust started to come through, to decide whether to make this public as part of wartime 'anti German' propaganda. It was decided against doing this as antisemitism in the UK had actually risen during the war.

This was revealed after a Ministry of Information file which outlined 'a considerable increase in antisemitic feeling' since the outbreak of war was released only last year after a Freedom of Information request.

Painting the Nazis as the only antisemites in Europe in the Twentieth Century is way off the mark.

Who is on here is "painting the Nazis as the only antisemites".

6 minutes ago, janie48 said:

Who is on here is "painting the Nazis as the only antisemites".

I've no idea.

I was talking about the world at large! 😕